Recommendation for desktop studio/synth shelving

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone knows of any decent desktop shelving units that are available online?

To be more specific, I’m thinking something like a wide (say 1.2m long) raised monitor stand, but with an angled continuous surface for better ergonomic access to my desktop synths. When I say raised, I mean roughly 100mm off the desk top, so I can tuck synths underneath it.

Here’s my current desktop stand arrangement, but I don’t want separate stands anymore as am buying more equipment (got GAS!) and would prefer a single continuous raised shelf that is angled in a similar way to my existing stands.

Hope the above makes sense!

Thank you for any suggestions you may have :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice setup. Where do you live?

For a monitor stand I recommend something like this … if possible with your system

I use it since a couple of years and enjoy that I can move the monitor around as needed.

Additionally I have four of this on my desk …

I have two posts and each has two arms with a plate mounted on it …

2 Likes

Thanks man, sorry maybe I wasn’t clear, but it’s not for a monitor, it’s to place synths on. So it needs to be a wide stand like this but with an angled top for more easier access when sitting. Here’s two examples, but I’m looking for something with an angled top, kind of like my existing individual stands

2 Likes

Thank you, I’m not far outside central London

That’s not a very useful type of stand outside of music desktop synths. You may have difficulty finding a commercial item like that.

You’d be best off making it yourself, finding a unique item (Etsy, Reverb, etc…), or having someone make it.

You could also consider placing your current stands on something like that if all else fails.

Hopefully someone knows of a unique item for you. Good luck sir! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I find these so appealing:

5 Likes

Cool idea! Hadn’t seen those before :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure if I’ve understood what you’re trying to do correctly, but have you considered one of the stands you posted above and buying those ikea laptop trays to line up on top of them? That way you get the raise and tilt. I use them for my A4 + R mk2 and they fit nicely and tilt great (though I’ve not got them on a raised stand, just sat on the desk).

Also, where did you get those elektron stands?? They look awesome.

1 Like

Thanks man, I think if I stood my stands on another stand, they’d be too high, as I don’t like to stand whilst twiddling knobs :rofl:

I would love to make my own but don’t have the tools and space to make them.

Getting something made is a good call though, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, I’ve seen similar and they do look nice, but I don’t want to be restrained in terms of pure solid surface area to rest my kit on. Will have a think on that though as they may be a good compromise. Cheers

1 Like

Aha, thank you! These look perfect to stand on top of the raised platform - I could probably connect them together somehow, if needed for stability.

The existing stands are from : http://www.zerack.com/en/

The dude has quite a few different styles for various sized kit.

Exorbitant prices, dynamite execution.
Wish I could afford one!

1 Like

Oof, nice. Going to look into them. Thank you!

And they’re quite sturdy things those laptop stands. Wouldn’t even worry about sticking them down or anything with the machines on. Just make sure you measure the depth of the monitor raise thing you buy as the ikea stands are around 40cm deep.

1 Like

Good to know, thank you again!

1 Like

Wow, that’s some seriously nice stuff - perhaps when money is more liquid and I have a bigger studio!

Not so fancy, but I made a few shells like this, it takes one hour and almost zero tools to make, and it’s super cheap and steady.

6 Likes

That is pretty much exactly what I need - maybe I should just draw up a design and get myself to the wood cutting shop :+1:

2 Likes

Just grab some pallets in the streets, cut some guides with cardboard, saw them, assemble them with dual sided tape (you can also use hot glue gun) to make sure they work well with your synth and if happy finish the job with screws/nails and file the edges/corners.

I did individual stands that way.

2 Likes

Thanks - I’m gonna go hunting for material tomorrow :slight_smile: