Recommended me a 12v portable power bank

I have a ficusrite 18i8 1st gen and I would like to get a power bank or portable power solution to run this outdoors. My plan for the summer is to do outdoor jams with friend’s, guitar,bass,vocals and keys. Will use the Focusrite 18i8 as a standalone mixer or with an ipad. I feel a bit lost trying to find what exact power I need. Aslo wish it to be budget friendly, if I got 4 hours from it that would be enough. Thanks

Info from focusrte support
the Scarlett 18i8 1st gen require a DC power supply providing 12V 1A to function properly. Unfortunately, I am not able to recommend you any specific model of power bank. However, in theory, a power bank with a 2.1mm barrel DC output that is able to provide 12V 1A should work with the interface.

Anyone tried this?

https://myvolts.com/product/44682/Ripcord_USB_to_12V_DC_power_cable_compatible_with_the_Focusrite_Scarlett-18i8-2nd-gen_Audio-Interface

Grab this and any USB power bank that meets the requirements via Focusrite. You should be able to grab an Anker (or any other brand on Amazon) power bank for $60 or less meeting the criteria.

1 Like

Talentcell do some power banks with 12v output, I have one that has a 12v/2A output + a 24V and standard USB outputs. Don’t know how that would compare to the Ripcord + standard USB powerbank setup but it seems either would be fine?

Ya I grabbed that myvolts cable but it does not work with my current power bank
https://amzn.eu/d/eZa8NAd

XTPower® XT-20000QC3-PA Powerbank inkl. Netzteil - moderner DC + USB QC3 Akku mit 20400mAh - 1x USB, 1x USB QC3 und DC Anschluss von 12 bis 24V 65W - für Laptop Tablet iPhone Galaxy https://amzn.eu/d/e5k57Ts

1 Like

Could it be a centre positive/negative issue?

Edit: actually thinking about it that wouldn’t make sense if it’s USB to DC and the cable has been designed properly :thinking:

TalentCell Rechargeable 72W 100WH 12V/8300mAh 9V/11000mAh 5V/20000mAh DC Output Lithium ion Battery Pack for LED Strip and CCTV Camera, Portable Li-ion Power Bank, Black : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

with a 2.1mm x 5.5mm cable

MainCore 50cm 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC Power Cable Lead/Male to Male/for CCTV, Security Cameras, Monitor, LED Signs.etc (Available in 0.5m, 1m, 2m, 3m, 5m) (0.50m): Amazon.co.uk: Everything Else

Is the one I use, works with syntak

1 Like

Yeah that’s the TalentCell power bank I have. If you’re in the UK I would consider selling mine to you actually, as I’m not really using it. I bought it for a project last year and it’s kind of surplus to my requirements now. Hardly been used, charged like once or twice. DM me if you’re interested.

That’s odd, it provides 3 amp output per USB port, well above the 1 amp required for the Scarlett. I think that’s the same power bank I use to power my Digitakt just fine.

Myvolts sent me 2 and both didn’t work

Yes I’m in uk and interested but I’m a bit worried it won’t work. Sent u dm

Update, this is now working, had to plug in the cables a few times for it to work. Doesn’t pick up the interface straight away every time and I’ve had this happen with a 2 input interface too. I wonder are ipads temperentle like this. Definitely not reliable set up for a gig but I’m very happy it’s working now

1 Like

I wonder if this is something to do with the USB power bank circuitry. I had an Anker one where if a cable + device was left plugged in I would have to replug it or press the battery check button on the thing for it to start delivering power to a field recorder. Maybe there’s something similar going on in your case, or just an iOS issue yeah.

Glad you got it working!

Ya its funny had tried the switch on battery,that might have worked once then tried it other ways and it didn’t pick up, if I plug it in a few times it will work,weird.

I reckon il still take yours for sale, will it be OK positing it? Thanks

Sure yeah, I just need to find the power supply for it. I’ll DM you again tomorrow when I’ve put it all together.

Cool, cheers

1 Like

I’ve only had luck so far with the QC protocol, as with the power bank that @slawa_soloma linked. That protocol involves a negotiation between the devices to determine how much voltage to provide. In the past, I’ve preferred Anker banks, but I have yet to find one that does QC.

I have a previous-gen Charmast W2002P I use along with a WITRN QC 12V cable which provides 1.5A at that voltage, and is perfect for powering either my Digitakt or A4. I have to click the little power button to engage it, and sometimes it shuts off at first, but always within the first few seconds. So far, it consistently works after that, as long as it has enough juice.

I have used the linked Power Bank to power up to 2 Elektron devices at the same time . DT and DN. It even has enough power for a full behringer 280HP modular case. Have it for 3 years now and it works like a charm

1 Like