Recommended Polysynth to compliment the Analog Rytm and Four mk2?

I can accomplish most of what I want in terms of a live setup with the Analog Rytm & Four, but I find myself regularly missing some extra polyphony to play chords.

I’m looking for an analog polysynth with at least 6 voices (but 8 or more would be better) that could bring something different to the table but still play nicely with my current setup.

Ideally it’s something without too much menu diving.

Ideally I’m not looking to spend more than $2k.

Any recs to start looking at would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Are you OK with digital ? That would help with the cost, and while not a huge issue, it is something some draw a line at. I get that you said analog, i am pushing the point.

1 Like

Dreadbox Nymphes?

4 Likes

If you can go with one voice less, the Sequential Take 5 would be my choice.

Otherwise have a close look at the Behringer Deepmind 12 or 12D…

3 Likes

Virus TI2 is the only choice

I recently got a Freds Lab Buzzy.
It sounds GREAT.
Super small easy to use, 6 voices and 4 parts.
Basic but really effective.
$260

Freds Lab makes other synths as well.
I definitely recommend checking them out.
Not analog, but it’s VERY nice

Also the Audio Thingies Micromonster 2 looks fabulous

Two notes in the left hand four notes in the right is something you’d do.

I recently picked up a Prophet rev2. Beautiful, 16 voice synth that certainly offers something different to compliment your existing gear.

1 Like

With or without Keys?

Hydrasynth
Digitone
Modal Cobalt or Argon
Super 6
My choice : Take 5

2 Likes

Waldorf Iridium

Rev 2 or a Take 5. Analog beasts without the premium price tag.

1 Like

Best sleeper synth by a country mile and THE best synth to work with the A4;

Roland JDXA.

Otherwise I’d say a Prophet Rev2.

1 Like

My favorite polysynths under $2k that I own:

• Hydrasynth Deluxe
  • Behringer Deepmind 12D
  • Roland JD-08

Polysynths I’m looking forward to owning:

• Expressive E Osmose
  • Logic Pro on iPad
1 Like

Take 5 is pretty great.

1 Like

Everyone’s going to recommend their favourite.

Micromonsta 2 ticks your boxes but is digital. It’s way under 2K.

Digitone is a pretty ripe choice imo

1 Like

Question: How much do you want to tweak live a poly synth supposed to play chords? If it’s mostly pads, maybe no live tweaking is planned?

Very flexible, but not a one-knob-per-function synth is the Waldorf Blofeld. It’s even multi-timbral. It provides more modulation sources/destinations than many other synths and can create very organic pads. But there is this UI-matrix, which is quite easy and efficient to use. Not everybody’s cup of tea, of course, but I think, it’s worth to consider as a companion. Having some sessions to create the patches, and then use them live as presets could be a solution.

On the other extreme I would recommend the Arturia Polybrute. Almost a modular like flexibility and ready to morph between soundscapes in a live situation. It’s a performers and sound designers dream … :wink:

6 voices / less than $2k, I would have recommended a good analog poly like the OB-6 desktop, my own favorite. The sound of this is a constantly renewed pleasure for the ears.
Or maybe the Peak, that is very capable for a fraction of the price, and let you add new sounds to your setup.

Thing is, with AR+A4 you don’t have much in term on sequencing power for external gear.

So if you’re OK with FM synthesis, I believe the Digitone is a very good choice.
It would extend the palette of sounds of your setup, possibly feed your AR with new kinds of percussions. And it’s a powerful synth, if you gel with the sound signature.