Recording a Model Cycles and Yamaha Reface DX simple setup advice

Hello everyone,

I am a happy owner of a Model: Cycles and I have a Yamaha Reface DX on its way. At some point I would like to record my compositions with the two devices.

Like many people whose day job involves sitting in front at a computer, I would like to avoid using it when playing music, although I realize a DAW might be the best option for the final mastering stage.

I looked into handheld and multitrack recorders from Zoom, all-in one mixers from Zoom and Tascam, Bluebox 1010 (which seems a bit expensive to me). Then I thought, maybe buying an USB mixer to control the two devices while recording into a DAW wouldn’t be a bad idea. However, the number of USB mixers available out there is quite overwhelming.

My question for you is: if you were given a Reface DX and Model: Cycles how would you go about playing them together and recording at the same time?

I realize this is a very basic question that might lead to many different answers, but your feedback is very much appreciated.

Thank you!

I just recently got the Tascam Model 12, so I don’t have a ton of experience with it yet, but I think it would be great for what you’re talking about. There’s a Zoom mixer that has a similar feature set.

I think what you might be wanting is a mixer that can record to an SD card, but it would also be really handy for the mixer to be an Audio Interface. It makes the In/Out The Box situation pretty seamless.

The Tascam Model series and the one Zoom option I can’t remember do those things.

1 Like

Depends on your needs: would you like to casually play alone, jam with friends or produce tracks in a more robust way? Multitrack recording is neat, but pricey.

For me the simplest and cheapest way of recording anything casually is by buying used analogue mixer and a simple USB audio interface with 2 inputs. I’ve managed to get a Phonic MM 1202 mixer in an OK condition for $35 and my friend has Scarlett 2i4 which priced for around $130 in my area (also used). But be aware of the inputs condition on the interface – they could generate noise. Also used mixers have a tendency to crackle while changing volume of a track. However, I just setup my channels before jam and don’t touch them until the end.

So, for $170-200 you can get 12 inputs mixer with separate pre- and post-fader buses and simple EQ, which will serve you greatly if you would like to play with friends or bring additional gear, plus the direct recording in the DAW but only 1 stereo track.

I also have Cycles and my friend has a Typhon. With this setup I described we managed to also bring iPad with synth apps, guitar pedals to destroy Cycles sound and Push to sequence the Typhon.

Thank you for your replies! The Tascam model 12 and the Zoom mixers ( which I believe is the Zoom Livetrack series) do seem to fit the bill, but they might have too many features for my needs (in the end, I am recording a drum machine and a keyboard) and are indeed rather pricey.
I aim to play casually on my own, but would like to be able to produce some decent-sounding recordings.
The other option suggested involves buying an analog mixer + an audio interface. There seem to be a few options that integrate the two things, like the Allen & Heath ZEDi-10 mixer. I wonder if anybody in the forum has used this or similar priced USB mixers. Of course, this would eventually lead me to using a DAW for recording.
I was wondering if using a mixer to control the Cycles and the Reface and route everything to a digital recorder might also bring good results.
More input is welcome!

Does anybody own an Allen & Heath ZEDi-10 mixer and say whether it’s good as an audio interface?