Recording advice needed

Hi,

I’m new to the forum and this is my first post. Just hope I could get an advice on how to manage the recording with my almost DAWless setup, so everything is routed in the best possible way.
My setup is like this:

Babyface Pro FS audio interface, main output sent to Krk Rokit RP8 monitors
Digitakt - stereo output plugged in the stereo inputs on the Babyface, sequences all synths
Analog Four mkII - stereo output plugged in the Digitakt inputs, DIgitakt sends MIDI clock to A4
Arturia Minifreak - mono output sent to Behringer Xenyx Q1002 mixer
Access Virus B - stereo output sent to the mixer
Waldorf Blofeld Desktop - stereo output sent to the mixer
Behringer Xenyx 1002 mixer - stereo output sent to stereo inputs on the Babyface

My idea is to live record everything in Ableton on separate channels, so I can apply effects and do the mixing in the DAW. However Babyface Pro has only 4 inputs, so I cant plug all my synths. That’s why I go through this cheap mixer I had for the synths, just to increase the number of inputs, but then I can’t split the audio of the synths into separate channels.

What do I need in order to accomplish this with minimal loss of quality? A USB mixer that is capable of recording separate inputs in Ableton? I researched for this, but I got lost, my budget is around 500-600$ at the maximum. I don’t know if analog or digital mixer will be better, so any recommendations for models are very welcome.

Or is there something I could do with my current setup? Or better buy another interface to handle the synths? I want to stick to Babyface pro, as I like it a lot.

Thanks a lot in advance!

5 Likes

The BabyFace Pro FS (a fantastic audio device, btw, love mine to death :slight_smile: ) has ADAT, so you can get an adat expander (don’t know if that is the proper term) to get 8 extra analog ins/outs.

8 Likes

1010 Bluebox.

Get rid of the Babyface and Behr mixer, replace with the BlueBox.

Record directly into the BlueBox and take the files (from its SD card) into Ableton later.

If you want more separation for mixing later, record the Elektron individual track outputs via Overbridge and combine them with the Bluebox files later.

Looks like a no-brainer solution to me. Will investigate this. Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Use Overbridge to multitrack the Digitakt and Analog Four into Ableton. You could even use the stereo inputs on your Elektron boxes as soundcards for your Access Virus B,
Waldorf Blofeld or Arturia Minifreak.

6 Likes

For now use what Jamesstiff suggests:
RME out > KRK
RME stereo in 1: blofeld
RME stereo in 2:virus
DT 8 channels overbridge
DT input minifreak to 2 channels overbridge
A4 seperate channels Overbridge

Ditch the mixer and buy a 8 channel adat interface for future expansion.

5 Likes

I also suggest the 8 channel adat expansion mic pre.

1 Like

Yeah, fuck my advice, do this.

3 Likes

As others have said, ADAT definitely the way to go. Cheaper options like behringer to midrange Focusrite to more expensive converters like Ferrofish Pulse. Enjoy!

IMO, if you’re looking to be able to play dawless, an ADAT expansion is not the route to take.
If you’re committed to having a computer/DAW involved all the time, then yes.
But if you want to be able to switch on gear and make music without the need for the computer, you’re better with a hands-on mixer option.

4 Likes

If you update to the new UCX II, 8ins/8outs - you can record direct to the unit without being tethered to a computer for that “DAWless Lifestyle”

Disclosure - I have the OG UCX and love it, but I have not used the new UCX II to test any stand alone recording modes.

Yeah, that could solve my issue, but I loved the form factor of the Babyface, so I went for it.
When I started, I didn’t think I will need so many inputs, as I worked mostly in the DAW, but recently I got obsessed with hardware and purchased a lot of gear without having an idea how to manage everything.

1 Like

UCX form factor is very portable - and doesn’t require a computer for multitrack recording… just saying.

I second the suggestion to try Overbridge if you’re fine with recording into Ableton.
That should handle most of the devices, and shouldn’t cost you anything other than time.

• Blofeld Stereo Out > Digitakt Stereo In > Overbridge (USB)
  • Virus B Stereo Out > Analog Four Mk.II Stereo In > Overbridge (USB)
  • Minifreak > Babyface Pro FS

That should leave you with three channels spare on the Babyface Pro FS.
I would only start looking into an ADAT expansion or an external recorder/mixer if that setup is not working for you, or you’re wanting to move completely away from a DAW.

1 Like

I wrote an article about USB mixers that goes over a lot of details and is current to 2023. If you’re interested:

2 Likes

That will work fine I guess. Actually I havent tested Digitakt or A4 audio inputs. I guess they appear in Ableton in the list of available inputs, together with Babyface inputs?

How I work in the moment is away from the computer, so I don’t have to power it up every time I sit down and I am just jamming until I slowly begin to build a track. Then I want to just record everything in one go on the computer. In this particular case I am leaning towards the ADAT expander, which will give me freedom from the computer until I decide to record something.

I have a Bluebox for this exact reason

1 Like

Overbridge will output every track on the device, plus the inputs, as individual channels over USB to your DAW - rather than just a stereo mix.

But you can use the audio inputs without involving a computer and Overbridge.
[FUNC] + [LFO ×3] on the Digitakt will open the external mixer controls so that you can listen to (and sample from) anything connected to the input.

I can see why you might prefer an ADAT expander or mixer/multitrack recorder though.

So if I want to record digitakt through OB plus all the other synths simultaneously, then I cant use both Digitakt inputs and Babyface inputs at the same time in Ableton, right? As i need to select one of them as audio interface in Ableton…Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Also, do I need to record all my synths in stereo? I am still not clear on that, read a few topics with contradicting opinions.