Recording out of my mixer into Zoom H4n

With the one I mentioned you could split your signal and have independent level control for your headphones and your recorder.

Old thread but question from me.

If I run my mixer into the field recorder, can I monitor what’s coming out of the field recorder and send that signal to my speakers?

I want to capture exactly what I’m hearing out of my DJ mixer.

Thanks!
Adonis

Yes and no. Yes, if the speakers are powered monitors, then you should be able to monitor in stereo with a L/R break out cable, but no it may not sound 100% exact. The headphone jack is also a line out but it’s primarily intended for connection to a dslr camera (by design) so I don’t believe it’s a line level signal.

Also to note, some (all?) zoom field recorders will color the sound a bit in certain frequencies, there is a bit of adjustment with the low cut and it can be adjusted a bit in post, so I guess the answer rather than no is that it depends. Also, there’s some art to getting an appropriate recording level for dynamic changes because a strong signal line in signal can overload the mic preamp and produce strong clipping when music is recorded directly straight out of a mixer (line-in), so it requires some testing to achieve a passable “all the way through” recording.

I took the easy way out of that and bought a $20 attenuation cable which is kind of a rip off but it does the heavy lifting for you so that you don’t end up with clipping.

That’s all I got.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Ideally I’d like to capture exactly what I’m hearing out of my speakers. That means capturing the audio somehow between my mixer and the speakers.

It sounds like the recorder can do that. Thanks for the flow description

Sure no problem, I’m not positive all zoom have the same frequency altered but it may be possible to use an eq in line to compensate - with my zoom field recorder, I have not noticed the frequency change while monitoring, only in the end recording upon playback so I think your speakers will capture the real sound.

If you change the eq “in line” then the speakers will play something different than what you want to hear, but the end result audio file would sound how you expect from your normal practice. I might suggest watching this video about fixing the zoom recordings for an h1N as it may be useful to you in just taking the performance you’ve recorded and then correcting it to how it sounded in your speakers. Good luck with this, I hope it works for you.

Also this is the attenuation cable I use to give an example, it does exactly as it’s supposed to.

2 Likes