Recording out of my mixer into Zoom H4n

^That is my mixer: Yamaha MG10XU

When I run my band’s show, I have everyone going into the mixer and I monitor with headphones. Stereo out quarter inch goes into our speakers.

I’m trying to figure out the most efficient way to record the stereo out into my Zoom H4n and I think there are only two solutions: Use an 1/8th inch splitter at the headphone jack so I can monitor with headphones while one aux cable goes into the Zoom external mic input. The only problem there being if I’m turning my headphone levels up and down it will affect the volume to the Zoom!..Which I suppose I could just normalize later? Or I could just be diligent and NEVER touch that knob.

The second solution is two XLR outs into the Zoom XLR inputs. I assume I can record them as a stereo pair? I’ll have to experiment and look into that. Again, I have to never touch the stereo knob level which will be fine in our rehearsals.

Anyone seeing something I’m not? I’d rather take a route where I don’t have to worry about touching some knobs but eh maybe I’ll just deal.

Use the monitor outs?

Only issue is those are quarter inch…so I’d have to do some cable and adapter fuckery. Also that headphone knob says monitor/phones so I assume it affects monitor volume, too.

This should work

Also, the H4n should be able to take a 1/4 inch jack into the 2 inputs as well as XLR

This.
They don’t call it the Stereo Out for nuthin; it’s there to record the Stereo mix. If you need to touch the master level mid rehearsal (or mid-gig) then then it’s probably OK if it also changes the record-level as well. It probably means ya’ll are playing much louder then you did at sound-check, as bands are likely to do.

Question.
Do you need to monitor on headphones?

If not, just record using the monitor out. It has its own level knob.

Yeah, I really like to. It’s the way I can best guarantee the sound is good and where everything should be…Vocals, guitar, drums, all of it. I’m constantly adjusting and the headphones are the most accurate.

I would go 1/4 inch to the zoom h4n combo jacks XLR to your monitors and head phones are headphones. Alternatively I think you should be able to have headphones hooked up to the zoom and monitor with headphones there and then use headphones out from the mixer to the zoom.

This was the obvious solution I was looking for…I can just monitor the whole mix via the headphone out on the Zoom. DUH. I’ll need to hear if it’s clipping anyway, right?

Damn.

1 Like

Why not recording the mix stereo out straight into a PC/Laptop via a decent sound card?

A NI Komplete (£99) has better converter and noise floor than a Zoom recorder

Unless you use a very good recorder like a Sound Device, I see no point in recording in a Zoom.

The sound file will go anyway in a computer at some point for sharing it editing/ mastering it, publishing it etc etc.

I specifically bought the zoom for this reason because I would have to buy another little interface and dont want to lug around a laptop.

Got any evidence to support this statement?

Go on the website and compare both specification and you will see.

Yes if you don’t want to use a laptop a digital recorder is the only other alternative.

I used to record to a Tascam in the past from my mixer but I did not like the recording results- and in the end I had to go through an additional step of transferring the file from the Tascam to my computer for uploading to Bandcamp or for any other editing tasks

A really good recorder is the Sound Device but it is very expensive and with that money you can buy a good RME card.

Zoom H4n is just fine for what he wants to do. No need to complicate things, especially when someone already has trouble working out what cable goes between a mixer and recorder.

Ah right, ok yeah no definitely.

Lol gee thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

Get a splitter. Artcessories split mix 4 is cheap and is passive. It is a mixer or splitter or both and is very small.

I already have an 1/8in splitter and idk why I would need one here anyway?