Recording to DAW , synch problem

HI!

Since the MD can deliver 6 independant output, im wondering if someone here has tryed the Mackie Onyx firewire mixing board??

Secondly,

Im trying to record a song 1 trak at a time (by muting and unmuting) to Ableton Live 9 directly into my laptop line input and it seems impossible to have the traks to stay all synchronised perfectly, despite being synch with the midi clock, it always get kind of fucked up.

Do these problem should get solved by simply using a decent soundcard?

thanx

Hi Kriss,

first off: Im using the Machinedrum alongside a Soundcraft Spirit M8, have all the outputs connected and its working very well :slight_smile: I have those 4 individual outputs on their dedicated Mono Tracks and now i can send them to AUX1-2 and out directly and they actually land in the corresponding inputs of the Octatrack :slight_smile: So i can add effects in realtime - each output of the MD on its own - and can also sample the whole stuff. Its really fun, so … yeah - i cant imagine how this could differ from using them with a firewire board. If the Onyx is capable of giving you those inputs back inside of Ableton Live you can have this - and a lot more fun - as well :wink:

Regarding your second issue: Try connecting the MD with the Turbo MIDI Interface and do not trigger it through your regular MIDI Gear. In Live you can select the TM-Interface as a source and destination for MIDI and you can also send the Clock and Transport through there. If you go crazy you can even sync Ableton Live to the MD - i’ve done that already in the past and this worked very well. But again: I havent used the MIDI Ports of my Audio Card in neither way, i’ve used the TM-Interface that comes shipped with the UW+ MKII. This always worked for me; no sync problems in any way.

Cheers

I used to use a Mackie Onyx 1620i with Logic.
I never had problems tracking 16 parts simultaneously with one this end.
Great preamps, nice routing options - it was just far too bulky for my studio space but I’ve never used one with Live.
Never had issues with it through several iterations of Mac OSX right up to Mavericks either.
That said sync problems are not just related to audio latency but midi jitter and the quality of the midi interface also and so on and so forth. For me at least, using a midi solutions Quadra Thru from my midi interface / sound card, setting up the correct latency, PDC and recording offsets in my audio preferences seemed to work quite well and audio quantize can always tighten up what you’ve recorded after the event if there are very slight timing discrepancies that need little in the mix fixing.

thanx a lot for the replys!

Im using the TM-1 but not external audio interface, im recording straith in the 1/8 line in :s

Think im gonna give a try to the Onyx 1220

But still, how do i get to know how to set correct buffer/latency settings??

Damn i feel like a dinausore when i start using DAWs
got to learn it, fast!