Recording w/ Zoom H4n Pro question

And you probably need to set the input level (on the right side) fairly low. I normally have it between 1 and 4 for recording from my mixer. And also make sure to record in 24bit.

Okay, I see that I can set input to channels 1 and 2 via those buttons to the left of the transport controls. But iā€™m still uncertain how to turn down the recording volume. When I roll the rocker on the right, it just changes folders/files.

Below that, where it says rec level

What I want to type here would get flagged. So iā€™m just going to say Iā€™m a [flagged]ing [flagged] [flagged] [flagged]. Jesus christ iā€™m an idiot. Thanks for putting up with me.

No worries

Nothing I havenā€™t already been through myself.

1 Like

Cheers, man.

2 Likes

Happy to help

1 Like

Moderator, can a thread be deleted to hide an Elektronaughtā€™s idiocy from future generations?

1 Like

Just change the title to please delete and theyā€™ll make it so

1 Like

Naaa, should keep it. Makes us all feel normal! And a nice read to see it getting sorted with help :slight_smile: love this place! :heart:

8 Likes

seeing things resolved is one of the few positive things on the internet!

3 Likes

Sorry to bring this thread back, BUT it got me started (yay search bar!) And has led me to want to ask:-

if Iā€™m recording stuff that Iā€™m going to drop onto OT for sample mangling do I want to record 44.1khz 16-bit, or 24-bit? Or something else?

Many thanks in advance
Russell

1 Like

Either is fine, 24 bit sounds better (apparently) but 16 bit takes up less RAM. So if youā€™re maxing out your RAM, use 16 bit, if not 24 bit.

2 Likes

44.1khz. OT wont play anything else.
16 bit = slightly more crunch when you start mangling samples. slight
24 bit slightly more fidelity in the sound. slight

And yeahā€¦ 24bit takes up slighly more space. Which is slightly irrelevant given octatracks flashcard memory can be huge.

1 Like