Recordinging plugged-in vs OB

I had a bit of trouble with OB when I initially tried to run it. Troubleshot it a bit, but Ableton kept crashing, and I believe I had to restart my computer to return to normal and try it again(that could be an exaggeration of memory, though).

I pretty much just want to use OB for recording, provided the audio quality would remain the same or not much worse. Can anyone give me some info?

Outside of that, is OB useful for more than routing separate tracks and possibly assigning envelopes to tracks/parameters?

Getting Overbridge to work is going to be a massive chore, and I am to be lazy concerning that unless it would be of worth to not be.

Thanks!

I find OB massively useful for patch editing, library and automation.

As I’ve had no problems with audio once the A4 and Rytm are on the right OS, I sort of take it for granted - it just works. However it is very handy to be able to get audio tracks into Ableton without using up my audio interface channels.

Originally I was biased against OverBridge as I just wanted hardware updates. However it opens up great flexibility and ease of use.

Being able to send midi patterns direct to the boxes as perfectly placed trigs and vice versa at a click would be great, as would sending samples to the rytm…

1 Like

Yeah, recording separately without using audio interface channels would be awesome. Does it sound alright, though?

Seems to me audio quality is exactly the same - despite the obvious AD conversion that I guess occurs. TBH I would go as far as saying that the end result could be “better” - simply bc you can add compression, EQ and other mixing FX to glue things together in a way that is not possible from the HW alone. Said that, you can still use OB for patch editing, automation, sync, librarian duties etc. and get the audio directly from the mains out (without track splitting of course) if that’s what you’re after (that’s how I start most of my projects - to force myself to do as much as possible with what the HW offers before I get crazy with splitting tracks, add effects etc).

1 Like

I can’t see why anyone wouldn’t use OB to be honest. I think if you don’t you’re really selling the black boxes short. I hear a lot of this ‘don’t want to use a computer’ thing, but it always sounds like posing, like it ups the credibility of your artistry. This is 2016. With OB you can expand so much upon the capabilities of the hardware itself. Just one example is that you can use OB to overcome the single-lfo-per-track limitation of the RYTM. That’s just for starters.

Before OB I was coming up with a shit-tonne of 8-bar loops and finishing almost nothing. Since OB I’m finishing tracks, and a good proportion of them I am excited about.

Even if someone said the audio quality was slightly diminished it wouldn’t sway me - I’d take that hit any day. Everything that ends up in a computer is AD converted by something anyway, be it OB, or your audio interface.

Just my opinion of course, but I freaking love OB and cannot praise it enough.

1 Like

Excellent! Thank you all so much for your assistance,I just needed the right people to sell me on it I’ll put getting overbridge to work on my to do list!

Thanks!