Replacing one of the encoder on the MD

Hi,

I got this used mduw+ mk2 and one of the encoder does not click. I can slide it into either pushed or released position and it tends to stick in the pushed position. So while this is functional, I would like to replace the encoder but I would like to avoid sending the device to Elektron. Do you guys know anything about this encoder? Which part is it? I’m willing to take all risks associated with unsoldering and soldering the new encoder, it seems pretty straight forward actually.

Thanks

Where are you located?

Montréal, Canada.

Why?

I think there may be service centres in Canada for Elektron gear?

Pretty sure there is one in the US; so would save shipping to Sweden.

Somewhere, I have spare encoders, if I can find them I’ll see about part numbers for you.

Edit: Just found them, can’t see anthing on them about part numbers sorry. Maybe contact Elektron for the part number, or someone else here can help with it?

I replaced a few on mine and ordered the encoders thru Elektron… Not sure of your solder savyiness but it can be done if you are comfortable with a solder iron but a decent quality iron is required as well as a desoldering bulb… Another thing to consider is that the pcb is mulit layer so it is impotant to make sure you have a good solder joint…

There was a good thread on the old board showing how to do it… All those threads for that stuff needs to be ported here and compiled under a Elektron maintenance thread…

BTW I am in Toronto if you need it repaired… I may have a spare encoder…

Ah great I’d be interested in that extra encoder of yours!

As far as my soldering goes, I’m no expert but I believe I have enough experience to replace the encoder.

Let me look this wknd and see if I have it…

I just checked inside how the encoder is soldered to the board. It’s 7 solder points. Two of them seems to be there just so the encoder doesn’t move at all. Each of them has a lot of space in between and everything is quite clean and big. It seems like a very easy job.

Sorry dude I cannot find any spares as I think I used them up on my prev MD prior to selling it… Thought I had one left over contact Elektron for some and grab a few extra if you plan on keeping the MD as they do wear out over time…

Just out of curiosity, for those who don’t want to DIY replacing their encoders-I know over the summer a lot of people were saying Elektron weren’t responding to their support emails in a timely manner. I’m going to have to replace a couple of my encoders, and am hoping it won’t take too long to contact them and have it repaired at the Los Angeles location. Anybody dealt with support lately who can give an idea of the turnaround time?