Request for help with arp modes

Could somone suggest a quick setup which would show the effect of switching the arp mode from TRUE to UP, DOWN, CYCLE or SHUFFLE?

I get what RND does, at least when you have an octave range greater than 1 selected, but cannot get results from the other modes. The manual descriptions sound fine - just can’t make it happen!

Many thanks

I don’t know if my response will sound condescending, I hope not.

Have you played a triad chord to hear this mode difference?

Eg, hold a low C note, then two other notes much higher up the scale, G and B for example

That will show you what’s going on the best.

The arp will cycle through the notes, if it’s up mode then it will play the low c, then, g, then b.

If it’s down mode it will play b, then g, then the low c.

Does that help?

Thanks Jm - that’s exactly what I originally expected it to do, but no joy. Can you get it to do that?

RND randomizes the octave in which each note sits rather than the order of notes, so i don’t think UP/DOWN will have the effect you suggest. I think these settings affect octave allocation…
but I’m really not sure because no matter what I feed into the arp there is no difference in output between TRUE, UP, DOWN, CYCL & SHFL… Only RND gives a different result
If someone can describe a setup where the arp changes with each setting I’m sure it will all fall into place for me!

Thanks Jm - that’s exactly what I originally expected it to do, but no joy. Can you get it to do that?

RND randomizes the octave in which each note sits rather than the order of notes, so i don’t think UP/DOWN will have the effect you suggest. I think these settings affect octave allocation…
but I’m really not sure because no matter what I feed into the arp there is no difference in output between TRUE, UP, DOWN, CYCL & SHFL… Only RND gives a different result
If someone can describe a setup where the arp changes with each setting I’m sure it will all fall into place for me!
[/quote]
Hey I just tried this with my (little used) controller keyboard and it works as you described (Thanks for the prompt to actually play a triad!) - I had been trying to use it on programmed sequences created in the arp setup screen…

I guess it just has no effect on programmed trigs or the sequence entered on the arp setup screen? or am i missing something…

Also, i can’t get it to record those arp effects, which doesnt seem surprising as the OT doesnt do recording of overlapping midi notes if they dont start/end ogether, but it does seem that this use of the arp is limited only to live playing?

[/quote]
Hey I just tried this with my (little used) controller keyboard and it works as you described (Thanks for the prompt to actually play a triad!) - I had been trying to use it on programmed sequences created in the arp setup screen…

I guess it just has no effect on programmed trigs or the sequence entered on the arp setup screen? or am i missing something…

Also, i can’t get it to record those arp effects, which doesnt seem surprising as the OT doesnt do recording of overlapping midi notes if they dont start/end ogether, but it does seem that this use of the arp is limited only to live playing? [/quote]

Think of the OT as a step sequencer, with (as you pointed out) all notes that are programmed on a single step starting and ending together.

Think of an arpeggiator as a rhythm pattern effect that is imposed on a sustained (manually-held or step-sequenced) chord. The “programmed sequences created in the Arp Setup screen” are rhythmic patterns to be imposed on sustained chords.

If you can’t hear the difference, then likely the recorded trig note duration is not long enough for the arp to do its thing. INF is not a bad value in this case.

Thanks for the input folks!

I just wasn’t feeding the arp a chord

Instead I was building the arpeggios manually using offsets in the setup screen.

Good to know it’s a lot easier than that