Resampling for "perfect" 4 Bar Loops

What’s your best practice? I want to be able to do this much faster than I have been by trial and error.

For example: I’ve made 3 different versions of a 4 bar drum loop. I’ve resampled them, and have placed one on a single track. I can use the LFO pointing at Sample Slot and each 4 bars a different, random variation of the loop plays. Cool, that’s what I want.
But let’s say I want to take advantage of the time stretch method using start time of the loop being “60”. I need the loops to be “perfect” to do that. Currently my sampled loops are a tiny bit longer than 4 bars (just some empty space at the end).
Is there a faster way than trial and error to resample these loops I’ve made to land at exactly 4 bars? What’s a workflow secret I haven’t figured out yet to make this fast and easy? Anyone got any ideas?

There’s no way to do this on the DT itself currently. I’d love a setting to record a set amount of bars, or have start/end record trigs etc… but for now you’ll have to trim your samples elsewhere (ableton live here) or just do it by ear in the DT with the start/end params. No trim there though.

1 Like

The only way to do it is to end recording slightly after the loop restarts (so you can see where the next kick falls in the waveform view), then line up the start and end points exactly with the trim function when you first do the resampling. You can zoom in to aid this and it can be tedious, but it should be sufficient for the ‘time-stretch’ trick.

3 Likes

Any precision editing is done in ableton / audacity, grab the loops via overbridge at 120 Bpm ( just to make the numbers easier to deal with )

This is what I would usually do, however this particular beat has a delay on the quarter note hihats for “humanism”. This made the waveform busy throughout, and ruined me being able to line up the downbeat transient. Womp.

Ahh. Computer then. Or Octatrack haha.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s looking like I’ll have to fly the samples into Logic to get where I want to.

Damn, this is the second time in two days I’ve had the Octa recommended. I foresee having like 5 Elektrons soon…

Yeah, it’s kinda inevitable around here haha but for perfect loops, the record trigs are a revelation.

So relevant. But it would sound like poop.

1 Like

So it winds up that exporting the samples using Elk-Herd, importing into Logic, paring the samples down, and sending back to the Digi using Elk-Herd again was insanely fast and easy. I don’t know why I thought it would slow me down or mess up my workflow. It didn’t.

1 Like

…u’ll need a dedicated audioeditor or a timestretch option like in the ot to go fluent here…

but what helps on the takt is turn on LOOP…this way u can clearly hear where’s the perfect turnaround in time…since u are fixed to that one same tempo anyways…
so no worries for endless looping…the next trig will trigger the start point again either way…

Yeah, I cut them down in Logic. I couldn’t just wait for the next trig to restart, as I wanted to use the time stretching tricks. Needed perfect loops to make that easy. It’s working now though.

What about sampling while creating a chain of the pattern followed by a empty pattern so there’s only silence after the pattern lenght. Set the chng lenght for desired bars. You have to be gentle with reverb or delay tails but it’s easier to trim.

2 Likes

That was something I didn’t think about until after, but yeah that would have worked perfectly.