Researching A4 in regards to keytracking

Interested if the A4 allows one to set keytracking on the filter to 200%.

From the manual
TRK (Filter1 Keytrack) lets the cutoff frequency follow the pitch of
the sound. A setting of 32 will make the filter track the oscillator
frequency in note intervals, making it possible to play the Filter 1
resonance the same way as an oscillator is played.

What I can not find, or missed, is the range of this TRK parameter.
Also, does this go negative?

Range is -64/+63. I suppose +63 is 200%.
Seems to be 200% by ear.

3 Likes

I’d agree with that, by ear

1 Like

my interest has been piqued

it’s definitely ballpark +/- 200% with 0% the vanilla setting and 32 100%

If it’s not corrected at the upper end (asymmetrical +63 at -64), then it may be +196% as per Blofeld

Quite why +32 isn’t given a soft detente is beyond me, but keep in mind the variable second is not supposed to be as accurate iirc wrt tracking

1 Like

To override the +196% on the Blofeld I do this.
Filter KT=100%
Mod Slot Keytrack +63 Filter Cutoff.
This yields exactly two octaves per self-oscillating filter per octave keyboard

I guess the self-oscillating filter test on the A4 would be the tell all.

Is the A4 set up for Fc the same way as a Blofeld with 12 numbers
between octaves?

1 Like

On reflection it’s the variable filter which provides most accurate keytracking IMHO

I mis-remembered what was officially confirmed before, need to hunt down the comment

Even at +/-32 there is a difference between the fixed filter and the variable one, the fixed filter is not great over an octave, maybe I need to recalibrate, but at a middlish freq spot +34 is more like 100% (the variable filter is consistent both ways)

So it’s only really possible to judge against the variable filter and i’d say it is -200% to 196% and there’s no way to edit that further (keytracking is sadly not available as a source for modulation)

3 Likes

Thanks for all your help, everyone!

2 Likes

havent noticed this myself… seems consistent at 32 on both

2 Likes

I can’t contest your experience of course, nor the possibility that I need to calibrate

but this experience is a shared one from back in the day too

e.g. here

fwiw - I wasn’t using my ears alone, I was running an oscillator into the Ext Ins and comparing Cs across one octave, with the variable filter the tracking allowed pitch matching very accurately at either end, whereas the fixed filter was significantly off on that day in history

I use a vanilla patch, dial off the oscillator levels, add a teeny bit of noise to speed things up and set reso to full, then tune the filter to match an external sine osc in a middle octave range

I do recall the official line being that one filter was better at tracking than the other, keep in mind the tracking isn’t consistent across the whole freq range, so it may appear better in the sweetspot range for the LPF

Either way, I’m gonna give my machine a calibration soon to see if it corrects the disparity any :thup:

3 Likes

:heat: ANALOG LIFE :heat:

Reviving this topic. On my brand new A4 MKII, the filter 1 seems to track notes at a value between 37 and 41 (depending on the track), but definitely not 32.
I just ran the calibration, same thing.
I turned both oscillators’ levels to 0, so I’m hearing the filter only.

The ladder filter is trickier to set to track nicely

These numbers were for the Mk1 … when it was established that accurate tracking was only ever ‘usable’ (over a useful range) on the Variable filter

So this finding is normal

1 Like

Thanks !
(I finally sent the A4 back. Not really suited for my needs in the end)

1 Like

what does the negative keytrack do ?
Tune to B if I play a C ?

Hello.

Is it possible to use note tracking as a modulation source for other parameters, fe. Resonance? And if yes, how? With and lfo? And if yes how?
Thank you