Retro jungle production with Pete Cannon (Akai, Atari, Amiga)

Sound on Sound have posted this this interesting interview with Pete Cannon, showing his jungle production process with a couple of old Akais (an S950 and an S1100), and Amiga running Octamed, and an Atari ST running Cubase 2:

The sounds are making me feel nostalgic! There’s also a free sample pack you can d/l, link in the vid description.

15 Likes

Nifty. Gotta check this out tonight.

Caught this this morning, his channel (N4 records) has a load of videos like this with less chat and more tunes.

This one’s a particular highlight for me, brings back some real feelings.

The guy can make bangers, I’m off to stalk him on Bandcamp.

4 Likes

Yeah, he’s pretty good. Nice monitors too Neumann 310’s. Good video.

Prepare for s1100 prices to rise and s950s even higher. I remember about 8 years back when s950’s were £200…

2 Likes

Really been on a Pete Cannon/jungle binge since I got my Polyend Tracker. There’s something magical about the sound of those breaks. Is there any way to recreate that akai sound in the computer? Alternatively, any known sound packs that have been through the akai that I can feed to my tracker?

1 Like
2 Likes

The irony of how we complain about how good/bad timestretching is these days!

4 Likes

Maybe TAL-sampler : https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler, it has an S1000 DAC emulation as well as some others

1 Like

I love the tal samplers, it was easy to use and cheap cheap

Bitwig has a pretty authentic “cyclic” timestretch oprion and a great bit reduction / sample rate reduction / jitter introducing / digital noise adding plugin to emulate old sampler grainyness.

2 Likes

Also a great channel:

3 Likes

Also check out the RX 950 VST it sounds great! Really nails the MPC / S950 filter sound and vibe.

New video up from Pete. Sidstation makes an appearance.

7 Likes

man, i love this stuff. homie’s cranking out bangers with old gear. it’s fun to watch.

2 Likes

Love the strings in this one:

6 Likes

Friday

4 Likes

You’ve gotta love how Pete breaks things down and explains the entire processes when making his tracks.

No secrets, just pure raw talent with the old school mindset and giving his share of props too.

4 Likes

Oh wow, didn‘t know he has done more videos! :v:
Really great insights he‘s incorporating everywhere

Wait for this one to kick in:

4 Likes
3 Likes