Reverb pedal advice

Golden is a good deal in terms of sound quality and tweakability. Slightly expensive but the sound and the interface will make you forget this.

Other (expensive and powerful) options:

• Strymon Nightsky
  • Strymon Bluesky
  • Oto BAM
  • Empress Reverb
1 Like

Source Audio Ventris.

2 Likes

Meris Mercury 7

2 Likes

If you donā€™t require midi connectivity,
I really like my Walrus Fathom.

The Bluesky is an amazing pedal. I have the Bigsky, and even though I have most the algos, the Bluesky offers a unique sound that either canā€™t, or is hard to replicate on the Bigsky. I have never heard a bad thing said about it, and many consider it amongst the best. Their Flint is also good, and unique as well. None of those sounds are represented on the Bigsky.

1 Like

I forgot about this pedal. The reverb was fantastic!

2 Likes

I was searching for a nice reverb pedal for a while and had quite a few expensive ones over the years. But i havenā€™t found one that i really liked. They all sounded good but mostly too clean or lifeless, for lack of a better word.

And then i stumbled upon this Legowelt studio tour where he also talks about preferring older rack reverbs because they sound more pleasing to him.
I recently got a microverb and it fits the sounds i make with my synths quite well.

Of course sound is very subjective but i thought iā€™d share my experience of my search for a ā€œgoodā€ reverb pedal and then ending up with a small 50 dollar rack unit.
It only has a few presets that canā€™t be tweaked but i use it on the aux send of my mixer and can eq the wet signal.

At this mark he talks about it:

3 Likes

Really cool guy, and really cool collection. But, I feel personally attacked when he mocks people who arenā€™t fans about Rolandā€™s JD800 step sounding filters. Haha

1 Like

ā€œmore relaxing for the brainā€ :smile: Thatā€™s why I love the Golden :wink:

1 Like

The new UAFX del-verb also looks cool to bring life to synths

Going from lush analog on one end to percussion verb on the other is a big stretch. the Merc7 could probably do it. All the swirling tails of a CXM in Catherda mode and a solid utility verb with Ultraplate. Itā€™s also got all the ā€œshimerā€ stuff, but honestly youā€™d probably be better off turning it all the way down.

CXM does all this and the bits in between but is more expensive, obvs. And I find it a little fiddly dialing in short plate verbs for percussion, but itā€™s not that bad.

Or you might just want something specific for perc. Something with gated reverb in particular. The Digiverb comes to mind, or the Red Panda Context. Or if you want to get crazy, I really love the sound of the Gamechanger LIGHT pedal on drum machines. But itā€™s definitely, like, a choice.

Ocean machine?

This might be my own personal mythologizing, but Iā€™ve watched a few videos recreating old Aphex & Squarepusher tracks like Polynomial-C and Theme from Ernest Borgnine, and Iā€™ve convinced myself that a big part of the magic of the sound, is down to the old Midiverb or Quadraverb they used

1 Like