RIP Andy Rourke

Just seen the sad news. Andy Rourke’s playing was a huge influence on me and he’ll be sadly missed

Rest up fella.

18 Likes

Criminally underrated talent, and far too young to be gone. RIP :heart:

4 Likes

RIP Andy Rourke. Huge influence on me.

6 Likes

Gutted when I heard this news earlier. Fantastic bassist and part of one of my favourite bands. Hugely influential to a lot of us growing up.

Lovely piece from his old mate Johnny Marr today, where he talks about how he was blown away being next to Andy as he laid down the bassline for The Queen is Dead.

G

6 Likes

I remember watching The Smiths for my first real gig at Salford Uni in 1986. First time I’ve ever felt real fear in a crowd - it was borderline panic. Lost my right shoe in the chaos but that extended bassline from The Queen is Dead was definitely a highlight.

8 Likes

I don’t think the Smiths ever wrote a bad song.

M&M take all the credit, but what a rhythm section. Literally the perfect band.

10 Likes

God, I love The Smiths. RIP to a true master. Will be blasting them today.

4 Likes

Geez it’s scary seeing people I use to listen to watch begin to die off.
Underrated player, and integral to that “Madchester” sound that spawned so many other great bands.
RIP Andy.

4 Likes

I loved the way Andy locked his bass lines into Johnny’s guitar parts. He started out as a funk player and you can tell. A real talent indeed

3 Likes

I’ve always loved Well I Wonder which people don’t mention very often when appraising the Smiths catalogue. Only really occurred to me today that this is a very bass centric song.

5 Likes

Such a loss. R.I.P.

I had this thought recently too. The only dud I could come up with was Golden Lights. Not sure any other band can claim a batting average like that.

I love Andy’s bass lines. Not sure there has ever been a great bassist who was not underappreciated, but Andy really really doesn’t get his due.

https://youtu.be/F-mBSshJAvU

2 Likes

Rest in peace, Andy.

1 Like

Golden Lights is a cover so maybe still 100%

1 Like

RIP :frowning_face: