RIP Jon Hassell

Thank you for the music Jon :pray:t4:
One of my favourite artists and a true ground breaker since the 70’s

11 Likes

Oh no. Such a huge part of my early formative listening - on so many seminal albums

The wierd wierd thing is that i woke with this as an earworm today - classic Hassell and fittingly sombre, peerless stuff - what a tone, what a legacy, sad news …

7 Likes

I always thought David Sylvian was a pretentious so and so when Japan started. I saw them at Birmingham Poly. I think hes proved me totally wrong over they years. Kudos to the guy.

2 Likes

I admit I know too little of Jon Hassell’s work, but this album he did with Eno (pre DX7) is one of my favorite albums of all time. They spent days / weeks effecting and re-effecting the trumpet to sound other worldly on each track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFig-OiIwDo

2 Likes

That song he made with Fennesz was what got me into his music.

1 Like

Indeed.

The only time I saw him play was with his Bluescreen 2 band at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London in 1997. A packed hall in utter rapt silence as he played material like “Blue Night” from Dressing For Pleasure. I wonder whether his proposed book will ever come out.

5 Likes

I must say as a huge admirer of his work for years I was astounded that he was willing to guest on an album of mine back in 2005. Here’s one example for it. It’s a very understated release but still super proud of this

12 Likes

He was still releasing albums up to last year (he was in his 80’s) !
Fair play to him, I hope I have the same inspiration and energy to do that

1 Like

and those last albums are still amazing too!! The two on Warp are fantastic releases as well

5 Likes

RIP, Maestro.

I did this tribute EP to him last year

2 Likes

Came for the Jon on this one and stayed on for the Stina; the trumpet/wash break after mid point is so lovely, simple and achingly human being so breathy … Stina’s probably marmite voice is every bit as intimate and lovely…

…oh, and why not … can’t link to Power Spot to up the tempo

2 Likes

A true loss.
I actually got to know his music pretty late in the game, with his release of Listening to Pictures in 2018… I was really surprised to realize that the guy was 80 years old at the time - it’s sounded so fresh and modern that I thought he was much younger.
I was also surprised that I didn’t get to his music earlier, since I’ve been super into ambient and experimental music for almost two decades… I knew he was ill, so I was sort of expecting him to leave us soon… still sad, but I’m grateful for the immense catalog he left us, right until the end…

This track from my last album “Gesto” was sort of inspired by him…

2 Likes

This news makes me sad.

Fourth World Music, Vol 1 was part of our pre-wedding/gathering music.

I still remember when someone turned me onto that album when i was young.

2 Likes

I got into him in ‘92 when I got a copy of City: Works of Fiction. Have been a huge fan ever since. Very saddened that he is gone but so happy that he was here.

2 Likes

Late to the Hassell party, but I’ve been listening to this mix regularly and I’m really keen to start picking up some of his albums. Rich stuff!

1 Like

I had no idea he played on those two albums. I love them both, and now more so with this new knowledge.

1 Like