RIP Trugoy of De La Soul

Rap/hiphop has always been something I listened periodically to as an interested outsider, but over the past forty years, the first three De La Soul albums have probably been the most consistently enjoyable for me. Gentle, funny, catchy. A lot of my early heroes are hitting their earthly time limit but this is way too soon. I have no love for streaming but I hope their belated arrival there brings them some overdue exposure.

6 Likes

can’t even

3 Likes

Please be okay. Everyone. Life goes on. Just slightly more somber than before. The Dove wants us all to celebrate life and embrace change. When doves cry, we all notice. It’s time to make music. Now more than ever. All the love to my brethren here. I feel you captain, I can’t even either but we got to.

3 Likes

Rest in magic brother. Bismillah al-Rahman al-Rahim.

2 Likes

sample worthy

4 Likes

The other night I was watching De La Soul on Drink Champs, and after seeing this post you can tell that he may have been undergoing health issues/treatment because his energy appeared to be way too low. Maybe everyone in the room was already in the know of Trugoy’s condition because that episode was apparently rushed to go live, and it felt kind of awkward. Two legends gone in such a short timeframe, both in hip hop and jazz, and the world is at a loss. De La’s story is a treat and I recommend checking out their episde, which unfortunately (for the parties involved) had focused on being played by record labels. These guys got me through the day through high school in 07-08, and for many more days to come. They always felt like they were trying to wake people up to daily bs and it’s sad to see such a positive giant leave us, but I wish him and Wayne Shorter, another giant, safe travels on their next voyages.

Here’s the episode if anyone wants to check it out:

6 Likes

real MCs never die

3 Likes
3 Likes

Damn…I just heard. :pensive:

Love that group.