RIP Trugoy of De La Soul

such a bummer. love their music and he was a obviously a huge part of it. so many great tracks and stories in their songs.

of the many favs here’s a couple:

33 Likes

3 feet high and rising was a really great standout from all the other hip hop coming out at the time, thanks for the positive vibes and rest in peace Dove.

11 Likes

What a loss. They were formative to me and I frequently listen to their stuff to this day. To think he won’t be able to witness their music finally re-released after decades of legal battles is tragic.

10 Likes

Such sad news. 3 feet high and de la soul is dead were albums I totally rinsed on cassette as a kid and I loved their use of sampling in them. Was lucky enough to be the support act when they played here and trugoy and the others were total gents putting up with me asking them a million questions after the gig.
RIP

34 Likes

Stakes Is High and 3 Feet High and Rising are a couple of my favorite albums ever. Damn. RIP.

5 Likes
4 Likes

RIP this is shocking

3 Likes

What? No! RIP

2 Likes

Sad, RIP!

2 Likes

Oh no man. RIP Dave.
This week already sucks massively.

2 Likes

Too damn soon!

2 Likes

Way too young!

RIP!

2 Likes

Fuck 54 is young. Feel bad for his family and friends. At least he got to see the impact he had on hip-hop while alive. RIP Tru.

2 Likes

I’m devastated by this loss.

By far one of my favorite groups of all time and Trugoy was one of the greats. Glad they finally got their masters back which is wonderful for his estate (I ordered a yellow edition of 3 Feet when it was announced which will make its release in a few weeks bittersweet), but I wish he could have lived to see De La’s reemergence into the pop culture conversation again when the albums drop on streaming in March (De La is Dead and Buhloone FINALLY!).

They meant the world to me and so many and their impact can’t be understated.

MCA, Phife , Biz, Shock G, Plug Two…way too many of my heroes way too young. I’ll be spinning that yellow vinyl on March 3rd (34 years to the day of its original release) for Dove and remembering his genius.

6 Likes

Oh no!

I feel very lucky to have seen them live. It was a weird ass show. They were on a bill with Common and John Legend. I was there to see De La Soul. Common was secondary. John Legend, I didn’t care for really, and still don’t. He put on a show though. Common was great too. The crazy part is, John Legend was the headline, Common was in the middle, and De La Soul was the opening act. Imagine being a pioneer of Hip-Hop music, a legendary crew, and having to open for a Pop/R&B act and a rapper who, though popular, never could hold a jockstrap to Native Tongues peeps.

I gave them their flowers though. I told them I thought the order of the bill should be reversed and though you could tell they appreciated the sentiment, they were super humble and just grateful to be there. Sad knowing there will likely never be another De La album but thankful for the many classics they bestowed upon us. Rest Easy God! Say what up to Dilla!

5 Likes

Real talk man. Gift of Gab, Shock G, DOOM, Phife, and now Trugoy the Dove. :broken_heart:

7 Likes

Quite sad. De La Soul was one of the first rap band I was introduced to in the early 90’s.
“De La Soul is dead” was the album. I remember having it on cassette, blowing it in my yellow Sony walkman, roller skating in Paris. Didn’t understand much about what they were saying at that time (I was like 12 or 13), but those heavy beats, mad flows, overall musical creativity gave me happiness.
Trugoy wasn’t just a rapper, he was a “Supa-Emcee”. Big loss for Hip-Hop. 54, it’s still young…

6 Likes

3 Feet high is one of my favorite hip hop records of all time. Incredibly unique to this day with top level production. RIP.

5 Likes

RIP Trugoy and DOOM

6 Likes

Rest In Peace, Big Soul. Words fail me at the moment but discovering De La Soul among many other bigger and smaller experiences was a big part of my growing and …we are getting old.

3 Likes