Roland Aira MX-1

Here’s a question for MX-1 owners: when you use it as an audio interface, I understand it streams 18 channels over USB to/from a DAW, but when you send the MX-1’s channels to the DAW, does it also stream the master FX channels, or the individual channels with the master FX return added, or no master FX?

You will have all the individual channels 1-16 streamed to your DAW, they will be sent pre fader but post BEAT FX and EQ.
Channel 17-18 will be your main stereo out and it will include the MASTER FX.

At least that is how mine is set up atm, maybe its possible to change the routing in the settings menu. But I just got mine so its kind of on default settings.

1 Like

Many thanks. :thumbsup:

1 Like

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I’m interested in the mx-1. Since it’s been out a few years now I was wondering if users could provide their feedback, how they use it, experiences, likes and dislikes. Cheers.

I use it constantly for jamming. It’s the most important piece of gear I own and so much fun to play! I’m just a hobbiest that likes to jam and have fun, I don’t do any recording. For that, I highly recommend it.

Thanks. Are you using a lot of the roland units into the USB ports then?

I use it for hooking up my aira gear - system 8, system 1, d-05, mc 707 - via usb.

Output is spdif into my soundcard.

The analog input and outputs are very noisy and I would not use them for recording. Kind of a waste.

There’s a lot of nice fx you can use to be creative with the incoming sounds.

Does anyone else find the MX-1 frustrating!??

To me, it’s like it is 2 or 3 obvious steps away from being THE perfect performance mixer… all it would need to make it a 10/10;

• Analog Stereo Input Channels… instead of having to link 1&2, 3&4, just make them each switchable between mono/stereo. (I hate having channel 2 and 4 lying there unused taking up space!)

• Class Compliant USB Inputs… being able to directly connect other USB devices to the AIRA-only USB inputs would knock the MX-1 out the park.

There’s so much I like about the MX-1, but these things would make it fantastic.

With it’s current limitations I’m close to ditching it to use an Allen and Heath Xone 96 instead…

1 Like

I use it, great for making and creating. the side chain, filters and customisability makes for a fun experience.

These are the reasons I ultimately sold my MX-1.

You’ve been AudioPlz’d…

4 Likes

Quite a positive one, styling aside and 2 less useful channels (PC and Digital SPDIF) I like the MX1, I’m surprised more drone and dub artists don’t use them, possibly because the aira ports. I use 3 of them with boutiques and they work well.

2 Likes

Given it was rapidly discontinued it does explain why Elektron haven’t made a similar device.

2 Likes

It is probably one of those devices that will go up in price, like say EF303, VT1 etc. once they were discontinued a while.

1 Like

Finally some much needed spotlight on this product, Hey Roland class compliancy why dont’cha!!!

very accurate take on the mx-1, wish he went deeper though, like getting into the fx randomizer and deeper into the snapshot features.

I wonder if the mx-1 will go up on the used market now that it’s discontinued?

1 Like

The MC707 is class compliant, but there’s no software editor for it.

I’d rather the TR8s be class compliant, because then i could connect it with my iPhone and AUM. But we get a not-great software UI to the TR8s at least, none for any of the AIRA gear, like the 101, which could REALLY benefit from windows/mac UI…

1 Like

I really like the MX-1, I just wanted more than 4 audio inputs… it it had 8 I’d def still have it and it would be my main mixer. It was definitely the most ‘playable’ mixer I’ve ever used.

1 Like

Fair review but he’s wrong about the MX-1 not having reverb. It’s hidden as the last two delay presets…

2 Likes

A Friday doesn’t feel like a Friday until I’ve watched the new Bad Gear episode!

2 Likes

Unless an MX-2 with class-compliant USB inputs comes along…

1 Like