Roland Aira MX-1

Could you talk about any more specifics that make the db4 more fun than the mx-1? I’m very close to pulling the trigger on one, it gets such high praise and the idea of it being super playable sounds great to me.

Would love any more feedback!

I think there is some overlap between MC-707 and MX-1 so I’d take the former if I had to pick a first. That said a new MX wouldn’t level up the appeal unless some new functions or features are introduced. Come on you Rolands.

I don’t believe there’s not a single company that doesn’t see the potential on this type of product. We see you Elektron.

2 Likes

The response I’ve come across is that the Octatrack is Elektron’s performance mixer but I’m with you, there’s a huge gap in the market especially considering the hardware explosion over the past decade…

Yeah, right? I’m wondering about this as well. I mean, it’s taken a while to get modern midi routers after the Great Hardware Extinction. Also “serious” multitrack hardware sequencers were basically the unobtainable Circlon and not much else. Maybe desktop line/performance mixers are next.

Probably hard to get the feature list right and solve the USB nightmare* since having a bunch of USB audio channels seems like a must have.

*(buggy client implementations, sample rates, latency, power via USB, “ground loops”, Midi pass through).

1 Like

It’s hard to know where to begin tbh… and it probably depends on what you want to connect to it.

You have four (stereo) channels, each with its own looper, eq/filter section and multi-fx section… so the possibilities of these are vast straight away.
But, the inputs are routable, so say so you have Digitakt plugged into Ch 1 of the DB4, you can get a pattern going and loop it, then a flick of a switch routes the DT to Ch 2 where you can do something else… get that looping, move to Ch 3 with it, etc.
Not forgetting it’s a DJ mixer, so you can cue mix your next parts away from the main mix and bring it in how you want to.

I’d watch some YouTube videos on it to get an idea… it’ll seem daunting without one in front of you, but, honestly, it’s really intuitive when you get your hands on it.

The main issue with the DB4 to be aware of though is that it won’t run after a certain MacOS (I think it’s Catalina), so if you’re looking to use it’s USB audio side, bare that in mind. But, just as a standalone mixer, filter bank, 4x fx processor, it’s worth it.

2 Likes

Thank you! This makes a lot of sense and sounds super unique. I can see why that’s special…they’re pretty expensive now huh?

I bought one new, it was the only new one I was able to find. Cost a lot!! But I’m paying it over time. It arrived today and I haven’t opened it yet.

I’m really excited, you did a great job of explaining it and selling me on it. I’ll let you know what I think after using it, I’m pretty excited considering how much I love the mx-1!

1 Like

This video blows my mind, it seems like it’s ALL the mixer and only the mixer. What it does to this one beat is pretty mind blowing!!

@DaveMech your videos have been a big inspiration as well! Do you still use/love the db4?

1 Like

Yeah I still use it sometimes. But a little less lately. Also need to getint repaired. But thinking I might start using it more again soon after that. It’s still unparalleled in what it can do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you again for turning me onto this mixer. It’s absolutely sublime and I’m loving it so much. It was 3.5 times as expensive as the mx-1, and definitely worth it. It’s like an instrument and so incredible for jams.

Hi everyone…I am actually in the markert for this instrument but its discontinued…should i go for a used one or wait a bit?

I really don’t think Roland will ever reproduce this. If you really want one go get one used. Oh and welcome back from your 2 year sabbatical.

1 Like

If you’re in the US I have a minty one (with the box and a protective lid) that I just took off my desk for sale (featured in background of my profile pic). I fricken looove the mx-1 and it’s super convenient if you have Aira compatible gear and/or use it as an audio interface. It’s also super convenient to have lo-pass/hi-pass filters per channel, effects, assignable ducking, and mastering! I’ve just gone mixerless (centered around a ST and DT) so I’m letting a bunch of stuff go.

PM me if you’re in the States and want some pics!

***Oops, unless you’re talking about the DB4 haha!

Hi jacob… thank you but i am not from the US :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Battery-powered six-channel MX-01, please, with redundant USB-C and stereo mini plug inputs. Thx

2 Likes

KiNK still uses a TR8 with his live sets. Fire, you should check it out…