Roland Integra 7

I am at the brick of buying a roland integra 7 for my music production. I am planning to sequence it with the octatrack. really need some different sounds to combine with A4 and AR. Does somebody have experience with this soundmodule. or maybe advise for using rompler with the ot?

1 Like

Never touched an Integra 7, but would i[/i] definitely snap one up if I saw one for a good price / in a few years as they seem like a lot of bang for the buck.

Advice for another rompler?

E-Mu Proteus 2000 series.

Make sure to get either a Proteus 2000, or one of the “Turbo” ones.

• “Standard” versions have 64 voice polyphony, 16 midi channels, 2x rom slots, 1x Midi In/Out/Thru and stereo outputs.
  • “Turbo” versions have 128 voice polyphony, 32 midi channels, 4x rom slots, 2x Midi In/Out (1x Thru)

Your best bet is the Proteus 2000, as these can often be had cheap and they are all “Turbo” models.

Add roms to taste as/if wanted. Rom prices vary massivly depending on the “desireability” of the rom in question… but load one of these up with just one rom, or go crazy with 4 roms and you have firepower for years in a single rack unit at a fraction of the cost of the Integra.

1 Like

I recently bought an old Proteus 2000 rompler to sequence it from the OT and it isn’t the success I hoped for.

Most of it is the P2000’s fault, so probably not relevant for your case, but one thing to note is that the Bank select messages is weird on the OT. It only sends the MSB value, not the LSB. Which basically means it just mess things up (Bank 2 on the OT means Bank 256 on my P2000).

Since I don’t want to manually select my presets on my rompler I have to use a blank pattern in my OT project to send the correct CC values and run that pattern once every time I power up the P2000. That way I can store my currently selected P2000 presets as part of the project. Clumsy, but at least it works.

EDIT: I got ninja’ed by Rusty. Since he mentions the P2000 I’ll write of my experience with that in a minute.

Other P2000-specific thoughts:
I like how it sounds. I wanted it for simple background chord progressions, some extra layered sounds here and there etc.and in my opinion it does that well. It is actually quite nice to have some “boring” sounds in the mix that leaves room for the cool gear to shine.

The FX section doesn’t sound all that great, but I wasn’t expecting that. What caught me off guard, though, is that the FX routing is horrible for multitimbral use. You can’t set up a reverb and then adjust the send amount for each voice, for instance.

I’ve gotten so spoiled by parameter locks and messing around with changing parameters on the fly that I expected to do the same with CC to the P2000. But apparently the rompler doesn’t handle that too well and I sometimes get unwanted noises, depending on what I do. So probably best to let the Elektron gear do the crazy stuff.

One minor oddity is that it has SPDIF out, but no way to have it sync’ed to other gear (no wordclock or SPDIF in). So to use the digital output it must be clock master.

This is an old thread but I figured I’d liven it up a bit. I acquired an integra 7 via trade and in terms of standalone octatrack food, this thing is amazing. The acoustic/supernatiural instruments are fantastic and have really been my gateway in to finally focusing on live sampling ( I’ve used the octa as a midi sequencer and just loaded samples on to the CF card to this point). I hadn’t really considered a rompler type device for a long time but as a mate to the octatrack, it really does make a lot of sense to have one especially if you are out of the box typically (I pretty much do everything with outboard gear and just record to an old macbook at the final stage of things).

Anyway, I figured I’d give the thread a bump and see if anyone else here is using the integra with their octatrack.

1 Like

I had some problems controlling my integra7 from the octatrack. The information I found was not complete and for some inexplicable reasons it sometimes worked and sometimes not.
I just want to sequence the integra from the octatrack and send program change messages to choose the studio set.
Here is my current stand, which works - as far as I have tested so far. Maybe that helps somebody who is struggling with the same problems. And maybe someone has newer discoveries…

Cheers!

Program Change Setup:

Integra 7 -> System -> Midi

Device ID: 17?
Studio Set control Channel: Ch 1
USB MIDI Thru: OFF
Tx Edit Data: OFF
Rx Program Change: ON
All below: ON

Octatrack

MIDI Channel 1:

MIDI NOTE SETUP:
CHAN: 1 / BANK: OFF / PROGRAM: 0 (To choose the Studioset - 0 = Studioset 1)

CTRL 1:
Doubletap (Setup): CC1 = 0 (MSB?) / CC2 = 32 (LSB?)
Onetap: CC1 = 85 / CC2 = 0

Set a trig or trigless trig on step 1 (no microtiming) of midi-channel 1. Parameterlock JUST CC2 to 0

MIDI Channel 2, 3 etc.:

MIDI NOTE SETUP:
CHAN: 2, 3 etc. / BANK: OFF / PROGRAM: OFF

CTRL 1 & 2: all CC’s OFF

No Parameterlock in this channel.

Planning to order the Roland Integra-7 later this month. Main usage will be to replace any software instruments but also to use a source for sampling for my BlackBox and Digitakt.

Anyone who has something good/bad to say about their experience with it ?

Thank you!

Having owned an FA-06 I can attest to how good Roland’s supernatural sound engine is (a step above the JV/XV sounds). However, I think I would at least look at (listen to) a zen-core based Roland synth before splurging on the Integra. Maybe it is a step above the supernatural engine?

I’ve been eyeing an Integra for a few years. All of a sudden, like, 7 have been listed on Reverb. And all around US$1,200.

Anyone know if there’s been a price cut or discontinuation or something?

2 Likes

I had an Integra7, mc101 and now have the mv1. The Integra7 sound engine is in a different class to the zen-core stuff on consumer products. It’s pro gear whereas the mc and mv are not in my experience (and I really like the mc and mv for other reasons - immediacy being one). I would say the MODX is a competitor to integra - form factor totally different of course.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen,on Reverb, the lowest price it when down to 1000. I just cop one for 1100

I just picked one of these up on Amazon (sold and shipped by Amazon.com) brand new for about $375 less than any other retailer. Unfortunately, like many great deals I stumble across on Amazon, the price went up as soon as I bought one. Still seems kinda pricey though for a 10 year old piece of gear…

In any case, I’ve got 30 days to explore this instrument and decide if I want to keep it. Any recommendations on favorite sounds?

The whole 5.1 surround thing seems cool though I don’t know if I have the patience to program that for my own songs.

1 Like

Carefully check for defaults on your’s because when other retailers don’t offer similar deals and the price suddenly goes up on the platform you’ve just bought from, this might be an indication for B stock.

Gaz Williams has a recent video featuring the Integra: https://www.youtube.com/live/UGdwzj_PvBc

Amazon still has one discounted Integra-7 in stock, shipped and sold by Amazon, so it should actually be new. But it never hurts to double or triple check.

Thanks for the buying tips. In this case, the unit is definitely new stock.

Looks like @obscurerobot found the same discount. There were two units available when I purchased, so looks like Amazon just had a couple of these they are trying to move.

I’ve started digging in – stand outs so far include the strings and drums, but I’ve just scratched the surface so far…

2 Likes

I have one, and the editing is so painful that I seldom use it, and use presets when I do. The sounds are great, especially the acoustic ones. With software editor I imagine it could be pretty nice to use, I suppose, but I don’t really like hybrid setups.

on the other hand that interface is authentic, compared to the original versions Ă  la JV/XV

1 Like

I bought this primarily for the vast library presets and I’m loving many of them.

To get the full use out of them I’m going to have to properly setup a bunch of CC mappings on my various controllers but just the `straight’ sounds are very pleasing to my ear.

I was also playing around with the sounds and editing via the iPad app this afternoon. Indeed the interface is clunky but serviceable for basic changes etc.

2 Likes

Interesting discovery…

The Integra 7 can act as a USB audio + MIDI interface. As far as I know this isn’t class compliant (it requires a driver install on MacOS and Windows) but it turns out that the Akai Force (and MPC) recognizes it anyhow.

So you can both send MIDI and record audio to/from the I7 and Force w/just a single USB cable! This is super convenient for sampling from the I7 or taking advantage of the 16 multitimbral voices of the I7 all while using the Force (or MPC) as a central production hub.

2 Likes

Here’s a more extensive sound editor for the Integra 7. It’s a free third-party app and it’s available for both Windows and MacOS. The site is in Japanese but the interface of the app is in English and there’s a simple English language manual included:

https://synth-voice.sakura.ne.jp/synth-voice/download.html

Note: I haven’t tested this extensively yet. Will update this post when I have more experience to add.

1 Like