Roland SE-02

Oh nice! I didn’t know you could check that on their website! I’m trying to find the page but can’t.

Still says “buy now”, whereas:

Says “Discontinued”.

Surprised to see the tb-03 is discontinued! I didn’t realize. I love that thing, wish none of these were discontinued.

TB-03 isn’t showing as discontinued for me?

It’s hard to know what Roland’s policy is on keeping individual boutiques in production. The first set of boutiques were pitched as a limited edition so it wasn’t surprising that they all got discontinued fairly quickly, but they’ve kept some of them in production much longer than others. I can only assume it’s based on sales numbers, unless there was a deal with Studio Electronics to keep the SE-02 in production for a certain period of time.

Interesting that we haven’t seen another “designer series” boutique since, either. I wonder what they had planned.

1 Like

Fwiw I saw the discontinued label on the Australian Roland site, not the American one.

I’m looking at the UK site, so that’s interesting. Who knows. Though I expect the bottom fell out of TB-03 sales when the Behringer TD-3 launched so I wouldn’t be too surprised if they called it a day on that one.

This device still rattles around in my head a lot :frowning:

2 Likes

In a good way?

Yep. Just seems so comprehensive a mono, and knob-per-function for the most part, plus I find it aesthetically pleasing.

2 Likes

Me too. I like my Sirin, but this one is amazing too. If it had a catch knob mode, that would make it so much better for Live use.

Just curious, how many people would buy an SE-02 that was about the size of a Prophet 6, with normal sized and spaced knobs? God, I would in a second. I understand the trend of going small, but some tiny gear is so dang good that I’d rather have it as the anchor of my setup instead going crazy with cheap tiny synths and having them proliferate all over my desk.

1 Like

0-Coast FS anyone?

I would if it was also 6 voices. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thinking about a SE02 or SH01a for having a fun mono for jamming out on arps or sequences and playing with knobs. With sweetspots guaranteed but happy accidents possible, if you are willingly going for weird stuff. What does the SE02 have over the SH01a, which can optionally also be poly? I don’t need the sequencer or arps on the devices, would use OT for that. The main difference seems to be the 1 vs 3 osc, but then again I really like the idea of the 3 mixer faders for waves on SH01.

SE-02 sounds huge, but the knobs are tiny. You can go a lot further with sound design.

The SH-01a is simpler, but the sliders and layout are much more conducive to jamming.

If jamming is the goal, I’d go with the SH-01a.

2 Likes

To understand the difference in sound design with more oscillators: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xXnc-ZepWd8 vs https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkmni72UqZs

1 Like

Yeah that’s the goal. I have other stuff for sound design and deep sounds, I just want a simple, but great sounding machine with knobs and sliders that always sounds great except when you definitely don’t want it to.

1 Like

Have both, the SE02 has more knobs plus delay, and overdrive. Can make different sounds as it has more waveforms. It sounds very agressive, nice synth.

The SH01a has less waveforms, and less controls, no FX. It can sound huge though, because it has unison. Also has the ability to play chords and the sequencer is polyphonic (unlike the JU06a, oddly).

Bottom line, what do you need? An aggressive Minimoog? Or Chorusless Juno?

4 Likes

Both descriptions sound tempting and are nicely put btw. I like the option to go a bit aggressive, but it shouldn’t be the natural tone I would say. Combined with the description of SH01a as better for performance and it’s polyphony, I will give it a try. I really loved the filter and the huge impact of resonance on low frequencies on the SH01a on Jupiter XM. The three faders for wave mixing also make me curious what kind of sounds this can produce.

2 Likes

I have had both and only kept the SE02 the Sh01a does not sound half as good as it, in terms of the knobs I just got some bigger ones and put them on the functions I use most, it is a proper little synth :grin:

1 Like