Roland TR-06 Boutique

Its fun! Thanks for doing this!

1 Like

I like em both and could make great tracks with either. The multitude of small variations between units is one of the things I love about the TR-606. Youā€™re always just a folder of samples away from finding a new variation.

But the tuning and gain parameters on the 06 allows it to wear the hats of many TR-606s , rolled into a single box.

Anyway, my guess is the 2nd is the TR-606, as it is a bit crunchier and I have heard some that are even crunchier than that.
Disclaimer: I monitored these on my iPhone XS speaker on my front porch, since itā€™s where I listen to most electro anyway, haha.

2 Likes

When recording and listening on my monitors I was a bit surprised how different they sounded when listening back on my ipad.

$1k is too much for any of the boutiques.

In Istanbul Turkey, all models are in stock and are priced at $400-570 vat included.

Iā€™d say the first one is the 606. Both sound great, though. Meh, listened a second time and now I think the second one is the 606 :laughing:

I think youā€™re misunderstanding: JP-08 beenā€™s discontinued for quite a while and is now sought after, hence the massive markup. the TR-09 is marked up a bit too, but not quite to $1k. basically no shops have these in stock, much less priced at $400ish.

Interesting. I saw them at local store website and checked their stocks. They are all discounted as well. Most likely, they are display product.

Well on the hats first was 606, 2nd was 06, I prefer the 06 too, by a small margin.

Here is kick and snare, I had to tweak the 06 a bit to get it to match my particular 606 as close as possible, quite surprising. Have a guess again which is which.

4 Likes

I say first one is 606ā€¦

1 Like

Hats wise I thought both were a bit harsh (I prefer 808 style )

Kick And snare wise both sound good.

Ha, well I did only spend ten minutes with it, and like Adam I ā€œmonitoredā€ the A/B through my phone speakerā€¦ thatā€™s my excuse and Iā€™m sticking to it. :laughing:

1 Like

well that says quite something, considering many people adore the 606 mainly because of the hihats

Wow the 06 is the second? Great! I am gonna Love itā€¦:grin:

Kick: i prefer #2. I think thats the 06.
Snare: i prefer #1. More snap. Thats the 606.

1 Like

Imagine if Roland decided to implement a ā€œsonic signatureā€ that made the default sound characteristics different for every TR-06 unitā€¦ I donā€™t know if people would be furious or delighted.

2 Likes

It can do smoother hats, though not quite 808 smooth, I roughed them up a bit to match my dirty old 606 - incidentally you can change the opamps in the 606 to make it sound a lot ā€œnicerā€ but I like it dirty :blush: :laughing:

2 Likes

good to know the 06 has the crunch capabilities that many TR-606es have.
I couldnā€™t be looking forward to getting mine any more now. :slight_smile:

great how much dirt you can get just using the instrument level gain on those hats right? no master drive/distortion means using that master FX for something else entirely. :slight_smile:

listening on the Genelecs now
#1 kick snare has a bit more bottom end, and is a bit more dynamic.
#2 less dynamic, and a bit more mid forward.

Again, Iā€™m happy to use either, and interested to know which is which. But not going to guess on this one, though, since Iā€™ve heard TR-606 units that sound exactly like both.

Agree, I donā€™t think itā€™s necessary.

Yeah the dirt is definitely possible, in fact to try to get them similar (considering the 6 oscs will be slightly different tuning on every 606) and trying a few things out I think it can get dirtier.

Also on the kick/snare I had to dial back quite a bit on the 06 else it would have been too obvious as it has more punch than the 606. The kick is fantastic, can sound very pleasant indeed.

On the kick/snare clip the 2nd is the 606.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I did too.