Roland TR-06 Boutique

@Unifono sound quality is typical ACB it has the nuances like the other 2, personally I think 06,08,09 in that order for features, the 06 is the most hands on, and obviously it has the fx which the other 2 don’t. The fx are very reminiscent of 80’s fx to my ear, they have a very classic vibe to them.

@finalform the year is 2038 young kids start their own new music scene called glamstep a fusion of glam rock and dubstep, they buy old obsolete drum machines from the 2020’s discarded in pawn shops, specifically the Roland TR-06, a machine originally designed to emulate the Roland TR-606, they make heavy use of the flam and sub step features for the distinctive beats :laughing:

10 Likes

J’adore ! :rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

thanks.
Ordered one :grimacing:

6 Likes

I would’ve ordered one but
I got rd6, uno and monologue recently.
When I do write music it’s often in ableton
Maybe I should go in the box / iPad

Mine arrived! Haven’t had time to delve into it properly yet, but my first impression is that the hihats sound noticeably more aggressive by default than the previous TR-8/8S ACB model (I don’t have mine to compare anymore though). Sounds very good so far. @darenager I agree about the fx. There was a bit in that Roland article about them choosing fx from the Roland “library” carefully, that it was an important choice. Seems they did a good job there.

3 Likes

06 and 03 on the way…

1 Like

is there any indication the tr-06 will be some limited release? i’ve convinced myself not to buy anything else for awhile but also would feel better if they’re not going to discontinue this like they have with other boutiques.

Who knows with the Boutiques. The first set of three was definitely pitched as limited, nowadays I think they go by popularity. Seems to be that if it’s selling, they keep it in production longer (hence the D-05 being stopped quite early on, and the TR-09 being discontinued but not the TR-08).

2 Likes

Wish those boutiques had individual outs

1 Like

Agree, I would totally swap a couple of the trigger outs for assignable individual outs (as per TR-8S). Would be amazing if that could be added in a firmware update. Still, not a deal breaker.

1 Like

but yet the JP-08 didn’t last and now they’re like $1k on Reverb

That was from the first set of three, that they always said were going to be limited. I think they discontinued those before they understood what the demand looked like. Hence them reissuing the JU-06 (with a few additions).

Also $1000 is insane considering you can buy the System-8 and have the same ACB Jupiter model with more polyphony and a higher sample rate.

They crop up much cheaper than that in uk.
Even at £300 I’m not tempted. Maybe at 200

Strange thing about that juno listing.
It won’t load for me in the USA unless I use a VPN with UK location.
Looks like they’re trying to keep stock maintained, perhaps.

$380 shipped royal mail to the US, though
But I have to resist and wait for zzounds’ stock to come in.
$34/mo for a year is a bit more up my alley during these awkward financial times of covid-19, plus we just got 17 new windows installed on the house. :grimacing:

Fortunately I’m rather busy with other things and don’t mind waiting, plus I think my patience got well trained this year on waiting for other gear and firmware updates.

Hi hat shootout - I level and tonal matched them as best as possible, still they sound a bit different, I like them both, about 20 seconds of each, if you guess which is which I’ll post the answer later, at times I was getting them mixed up when programming.

5 Likes

I prefer the first one and think it’s the TR-06. They must have done a little cleaning in the Mid - Mid Highs.

Well, I have been playing with one today so I’m pretty sure I know which is the TR-06*, but I’d love to hear a bunch of different OG 606s to see how different they sound. Kind of funny that this one 606 that Roland used as the reference gets to be the one that is immortalised in software. :slight_smile:

* Spoiler:

I also think it’s the first one.

I’ll do the kick and snare next. All I will say at this point is there are definite differences, as to be expected, but it is very difficult to decide which I prefer, and also some sounds I prefer on one and some on the other. Of course the 06 has editable sounds too, I think that if I did not have a 606 and a TT the 06 would be all the 606 I need. But they also work well together, I won’t sell my 606 or TT because I like some things about them outside of just the sounds.

One thing to note on the TR-06, out of the box the accent isn’t nearly extreme enough at max setting, probably to allow headroom for the velocity levels, so if you want to replicate 606 accent behaviour at max (that driven crunchy sound) then you need to set accented hits at 8-10.

@AdamJay I think you will be stoked with it.

2 Likes

I prefer the second one, but i also think the First one is the 06.

Glad to see people taking a guess, no one on instagram has yet.

2 Likes