Roland TR-06 Boutique

Are options (alternate drums, FX etc.) saved per pattern, or is it just whatever is set “on the front panel”?

No sound parameters are saved per pattern, just the sequence data.

1 Like

Related question:
Does anyone know if the “variation” sounds persist across a restart?
i.e. if you choose Rich or Fat BD, and power-cycle, will it still be selected?

Yep!

2 Likes

Picked one up for a super cheap a few days ago and I’m really impressed so far - it captures enough of what I like about the 606 that I don’t care about any actual or perceived differences in the sound. It shines when you use a light touch with the new features to enhance what’s already there - adding some slight probability to the hat and accent tracks can get you natural sounding variations that are just slightly beyond what’s possible with a real 606.

5 Likes

It’s a really fun little box with some extra goodies under the hood for sure!

I don’t really see much discussion about the TR-06. Maybe not as popular as the other drum boutiques.

1 Like

It’s unquestionably the best one of the 3 so far. I love he 08 and 09 but they’re really limited in functionality. This one is fantastic.

4 Likes

Same here, just ordered for almost 100 off the price in other stores.

I like the idea that the TR-06 has a few sounds from them, as well as the 606.

I think the funniest thing about the extra sounds is that you can swap out everything except the hats. They know you can’t sub out a 606 hat. Does anyone know if the TR8/6s 606 hats do the third hat when you play OH and CH at the same time?

they do!

Yes. The 8s does that Combined HH thing. However, the ACB model on the 8s and 06 are different, so there’s that.

If it had 909 hats I’d buy it immediately

2 Likes

Does anyone know how it transmits hits over midi? I’m away from my machine. I’m wondering if the velocity of accented hits changes as you move the accent pot.

Curious about this, as I just bought a TR-6s.
I’m assuming it uses the same tech as the TR-8s.

What is the source for this info?
In what way are they different?
And which is supposedly the better sounding, TR-Xs or TR-06?

1 Like

I just picked up a TR-06 last week. It’s great, but I’m having some strange problems so want to see if other people have them too before I exchange it:

If I use the Trigger In then the volume will gradually start to fade out after 20 seconds or so, eventually it gets very quiet. If you just tap or nudge the volume knob it instantly goes back up. This does not happen at all if I am not using the Trigger In, so I don’t think it is an issue with the volume knob.

If I turn the volume all the way down then after maybe 10 seconds it slowly starts to fade in again, not all the way up, but to a low level.

Roland has said that there is different and more sophisticated ACB modeling in the dedicated Boutique series units (TR-06/08/09) than in the TR-8S/6S. I don’t know if there has been one-to-one comparisons (I’m sure someone on YT has) but supposedly the Boutiques sound a bit better.

Roland. They used different modelling for the 8S and boutiques.

Better is a loaded and dangerous word. I dont have the 06, but I do have the 09. The 909 sounds on the 8S are great, but they dont sound the same as the 09 boutique. They are different. Having said that, I hardly ever use my 09. My 8S is permanently hooked up to the mixer, and other gear, always ready to go. Workhorse.

So I think ‘better’ is a highly subjective word, and each person will have their own ‘better’.

For me, the 8S is a ‘better’ drum machine than any of the boutiques, because of its features, both soundwise and hardware wise.

1 Like

Yes of course. I guess it makes sense for them to sacrifice some fidelity for flexibility. And the TR-06 was very tempting.

I think this idea is tricky too. The boutique 06 came after the modelling already used on the 8s, 6s. So there is no sacrifice. As for fidelity, not sure what you mean by it.
But, in terms of raw sound- the 8S sounds absolutely incredible, with no further treatment required once it hits the mixer.
Cant say that for any other drum machine I have owned. (Including the TR09, which needs a fuck ton of work… just like the old 909)

2 Likes