Roland TR-06 Boutique

TR-06 into OT has fun written all over it!

3 Likes

Ya know, one reason I was reluctant is because I am out of OT inputs.
I have 2 for my MS, and 2 for Typhon.
MS has no input, and Typhon’s is mono, going through filter.
I don’t want to have to use a mixer.

But I just remembered, Boutiques have that stereo mix input (pre FX as an option too!)!
Well, now I am out of reasons to be reluctant. I’ll run Typhon right through it.

2 Likes

Raise your hand if you’ve preordered. :raised_hand:

4 Likes

I have to say this looks and sounds to me like the best Roland product in years.
And the bobeats review was actually excellent and very watchable and informative . Strange times indeed . All I need now is for trump to give wholehearted endorsement of the trans community and my world will be entirely upside down

7 Likes

wow, everyone at Synthtopia sh*tting all over it. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Probably Behringer employees :joy:

I really would not put it past them.

2 Likes

Interesting announcement, I worked with 606 samples a lot recently. What keeps me from buying another Boutique machine is the unbalanced mini jack output.

When’s the 707/727 boutique being released?

2 Likes

I have an original TR-606 and an expanded Aira TR-8 with the 606 and 727 sounds, and they‘re excellent at what they do. Also, that makes three colors already: silver, black and green. Who needs more?
The boutiques have small knobs, that’s always been a turn off. Pun intended.
Btw. The Rhythm Wolf hats are way better than the 606 hats. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Maybe Daren can correct me but I believe the 606 hats were synthesized, not sampled, and that could be why peeps who are used to sampled hats don’t like them.

Anticipating this, Roland put sampled hats in the other 06 box, in hopes that you’ll buy both boxes

Yeah the hats are synthesized on 606.

I just checked out the Bobeats review, I think that the TR-06 sounds very nice in its own right, I think it is actually more interesting than just a straight clone, in fact I think it might be the best boutique drum machine to date for me, I have the 08 and 09 but I think the 06 beats them on features if not voice count.

Definitely going to get one.

7 Likes

So did the TB-303 and TR-606. :slight_smile:

Aren’t the TB-03 knobs the same size as the 303? If so, the TR-06 knobs should be true to size as well.

2 Likes

One thing for sure, it can do some Techno.

2 Likes

They probably are the same size, but the ones on the boutiques are closer together, if I’m not mistaken. I get about 12mm separation on the originals. In any case, I really should clean them tomorrow. Good night!

1 Like

You are correct.

I sized these to their actual dimensions, aligned to the top left corner, and used the “darken” blend mode in Photoshop on the TR-606 to overlay it:

TR-06 knobs are slightly smaller and closer together.

And for anyone else interested, yea the Boutique with dock is slightly wider, but the original TR-606 is deeper from front to back.

4 Likes

Cyclone knobs are fatter, the TB-03/06 knobs are thinner than originals but probably easier to twiddle as they do not have the same stiffness, I actually prefer them. The spacing is just about ok to accurately tweak 2 next to each-other I think.

1 Like

You are right, bigger and a bit closer together at the same time. I never had an issue with the Cyclone’s knobs.

Loved changing the roll divisions on the tone knob live.

Seems like thanks to mute mode on the TR-06, most of the live tweaking will take place on the value and FX knobs.

1 Like

They feel shorter too but I think they are about the same height, I can measure all 3 tomorrow if anyone wants.

Out of TT, TB-03, and TB-303 I think TB-03 are best to tweak, just the right amount of resistance and not too wobbly (a bit but not too bad) Cyclone feel stiffer but sturdiest, very precise. Originals are a bit too wobbly and a bit more recessed so harder to grip, still not in any way an issue but notable differences between all 3.

Going from memory a bit here, and probably far too much nerdiness for one night :joy:

1 Like

I have the TB03 and a friend’s 606 in my studio, and find the knobs on the 03 much easier to tweak than the 606. The 606’s knobs being a bit sunken into the enclosure are annoying imo. I like the way they are on the boutique; much easier to grab and tweak without feeline like you’re gonna break the thing.

1 Like