Roland TR-6S

I’m a software developer and although I love working with a DAW (Bitwig mainly) I really need to get away from the screen sometimes. 40 hours a week is enough. If I can sit and noodle some beats or techno tunes with a single self-contained device but also be able multi-track into the laptop (with a single USB cable) then it covers a lot of ground for me. I’m just a hobbyist so my needs are pretty modest.

Sounds like it might make a half decent MIDI controller for occasional software synth/fx/mix automation as well. Bonus!

1 Like

If it had TrigOut I would do the same, but myDFAM really shines now with trig control on the TR8s.

1 Like

TR6s & friends :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I just got shipping notification from Sweetwater. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

i knew it was a bad idea to go thru the comments - mc101 and tr6s is a setup to behold! fumbles around for his anti-gas pills

Got to play with one of these in a shop today, albeit without sound. Still very nice.

I am confused on the capabilities of the smaller boxen compared to the bigger ones. Outside of the additional tracks and controls, do the bigger versions offer anything more in the synthesis department? I cant quite tell if the smaller boxes are presets that get tweaked or if you can build a sound from the ground up.

is a great video on this topic.
TL;DW, not a huge difference between 6S and 8S. Main difference with the 101 is programming notes is easy and poly is possible.
2 Likes

The 6s is litterally a mini 8s. Physically.
So less controls, (like way less) less i/o ,less tracks, etc. So probably very fiddly use.

The sound engine is the same.

Personally as an 8S owner, its the all the knobs and faders and buttons, plus 11 tracks, plus tons of i/o options that make it great.

4 Likes

That’s a bold statement on these forums. I got corrected for even saying I wanted a TR-6S as a portable option to complement my ARMkII. And I wouldn’t mind having a Model:Cycles as well (which BTW is less expensive than the 6S in the U.S. at $299).

If I lived in a house or huge apartment, of course I’d prefer the TR-8S. I also wouldn’t agonize over the space requirements of each new piece of kit.

The main problem for me with the 6-S is not the controls but the minimal I/O. I understand why Roland did it; I just don’t like it.

Yeah, all the boutiques have audio inputs, so you can jam a couple of them together without a mixer. It’s a shame this and the MC-101 can’t be used in the same way. Especially the 101, which could’ve been used for sampling as well.

3 Likes

Totally agree l had to purchase a compact mixer to run the two devices l thought these were mobile devices l now have to carry a mixer.

1 Like

Was your little mixer battery powered? Guessing no. So there goes your portability.

Usb powered mixer using a power bar which l also have to carry.

Hmm. Yes, unnecessarily complicated. Curious about what you’re using. I was looking into battery powered mixers a while back, there weren’t many options. Bluebox looks nice.

21 Likes

That is a very nice little setup. They do look great together. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! This is setup on a lap desk so l can create on the couch. :wink:

3 Likes

Loving this setup and really glad to see another drummer into electronics and keeping it simple with the setup

1 Like

Just got mine in today. I’m really unsure about this one right now… I should have researched it more, because there are some things that I’ve taken for granted with virtually all sequencers / drum machines that I was really surprised to see missing here.

Specifically, the lack of any sort of probability hurts, and I’m genuinely surprised that there’s no per-step probability. I figured if the MC-101 had it, it would definitely be here. Hell, the TR-06 has it. That’s become such a huge part of my workflow that it hurts to not have it.

One of the known limitations of this is having the 6 tracks, right? That’s a known thing, that’s not a problem… but what kills me is that the device itself has a work around effectively built in via “alternate sounds” - some instruments (the ones that have a / in their name) have an alternate sound that you can access by holding the instrument track button and either pressing a step in TR-REC mode or pressing an instrument button in INST-REC mode. There are probably less than 10 instruments that make use of this, and none of them are toms or hi-hats - you know, the sounds that could REALLY make the most use of it. There are a couple of kicks, snares, and agogos. Which - ok, but seriously just having a hi-hat that can do this basically frees up an extra track for most people.

I’m hoping that down the road, it will allow you to arbitrarily assign alt instruments to tracks - that would open up a ton of possibility. It seems insane that they have this functionality built in with a fast and easy to use workflow for accessing 6 extra instruments that is just not really used.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s certainly a lot to like… Really cool that you can record up to 128 steps live in inst-rec if you chain variations, I don’t think I have anything else that will do this. It’s fun and relatively fast to work with given the small form factor. The colored steps are a very awesome usability factor, it’s really easy to look at trig colors and see what’s going on with alternate or weak steps or substeps. And despite the somewhat limited sound design options, you can get some pretty wild sounds out of it, especially if you make smart use of the single global LFO (although I wish it would run at a faster rate)

I guess I just am frustrated because I see a lot of unrealized potential right now with the alt sounds, and it falls in this weird place where it’s more menu diving than many other devices without having some of the depth that i’d expect from that sort of diving, and simultaneously making some very smart decisions about usability while also making some really inexplicable ones.

I realize this is early days, and we are on version 1.0… I was also an early adopter of the MC-101, and I had significant gripes about that as well, and just sort of set it aside for a few revisions. It’s become a hell of a device since then, not only fixing a lot of my complaints, but adding things I didn’t expect to ever see from Roland (Compliant USB audio and midi) - and it’s gone from being something I sort of regret purchasing initially to something I find fun and engaging to use. I’m hoping that we see some of the same sorts of updates hit the TR-6S.

The things I’d love to see in an update that would make me not gripe:

• Probability is obviously the big one for me
  • Either an ability to assign alt instruments from anywhere in the pool, or sound/instrument locks (preference on the first, because it’s super quick to work with, and we are already like 90% there)
  • Ability to assign any function to any control knob for any track (it’s very close to doing this)
  • Class-compliant USB audio and midi. C’mon, you all did it with the MC-101!

Pony requests that would push it over the edge:

• Faster LFO, and adding a “stepped” option would be KILLER.
  • Per-track LFO would be holy-shit levels of awesome

Anyways, don’t mind this old man griping - I realize that some of these complaints are of the “why didn’t they make it to my perfect specifications” variety. It really is quite great for the form factor, I’m just surprised to see some of the things that were addressed with the MC-101 not make it over to this device, as I had thought them to be of a similar mindset.

9 Likes