Roland TR-6S

spoiled by elektron sequencers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Thanks for the opinions. Do you have a DT or OT, which you could use for creating temp fixes for those gripes listed. Iā€™d be interested to see how easy it can be midi controlled.

Smaller size and price definitely have appeal to some, for example when the desk is already cluttered with several drum machines. I could see this running alongside my AR2 and MD. But i m getting an M:C first :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t hold our breath. These updates havenā€™t made it to the TR-8S which has been out much longer.

I bought a TR-8S earlier this year and didnā€™t like it (yes, spoiled by Elektron). I was sad to see the sound engine go so was happy to receive one of these yesterday. Fun on the couch and I can use more as a sound module sequenced by my DT or DN. I always do minimal percussion and not much of a sample guy so this is perfect for me. Build quality puts the more correct price at $300 but we have Roland Tax. My M:C feels much more sturdy. Sounds are good and Iā€™m otherwise happy.

Definitely spoiled! But seriously - I donā€™t expect a lot of the advanced probability/conditional steps the elektrons have, just a simple step probability or similarā€¦ they added it to the TR-06, which is a nice addition, but why there and not the 6s/8a?

Itā€™s not just Elektron that spoiled me here - cheaper drum synths/sequencers like the Volca drum have it as well (which Iā€™ve grown more and more fond of over time), and the ā€œadditiveā€ probability on the drumbrute is great in an entirely different way.

Iā€™m glad that they at least have scatter, itā€™s not so bad on very specific settings, but still very limited.

I guess this is pretty common to my experience with modern Roland devices. Thereā€™s so much thatā€™s good, but always mixed with some confounding and inconsistent decisions.

1 Like

I would like trig probability and to be able to switch sounds as well, but the step repeat function is pretty dope. Very playable. You can leave one step trigless and use it to quickly mute everything or hold down a step with a snare on it to create an instant buildup. Lots of possibilities.

Also, if you choose a sample and hold waveform for the LFO, you can use it to create a random probability of sorts by sending it to the instrument volume.

3 Likes

Got mine in today along with the tr06.

This thing is an instant classic. Iā€™ve had so many drum machines, I was obsessive for a while. I had the Tr8s recently which I loved but sold. Machine drum, digitakt, RYTM, sp-16, tempest, mc-101, mc-707, drumbrute etc.

This thing is insanely fun and powerful and so quick to jam on. After some updates, hopefully some of the stuff mentioned in here, this thing will only be better. 5 stars from me, bravo Roland.

3 Likes

I just got mine at work. I will have to wait until tonight to mess around with it.

3 Likes

Agreed,

Putting kits together is quick.

Jamming is second nature and very fun with the variations.

Cant wait to rock my super small Usb powered setup with MC101+TR6S+Bluebox.

1 Like

How do you like to use the variations?

I do hope a solo function gets added soon. Would love that in addition to the mute shortcut.

Question for MC-101 owners, does the TR-6S feel more ā€œhands onā€ than 101? My local GC is selling an MC-101 for $320 used (still on the 30 day hold GC does, so itā€™s not advertised online). But from what I remember from videos is that it didnā€™t seem very hands-on because each track only gets one encoder (C1 for Track, C2 for Track 2, etc) plus FX depth. Iā€™m debating which to purchase since the used MC-101 is a good price. Both have samples and drums, so thatā€™s good for me. Not interested in the synth stuff on the 101 but it is $80 cheaper before any discounts I might get on the TR-6S.

canā€™t comment on the hands on feel (tr8s user here), but if your main interest are drums, the tr6s has m7ch more than the mc101 to offer than samples.

1 Like

Thereā€™s now an option on MC-101 where you can pick 4 parameters per track using the C1-C4 controls. The selected track determines the active C1-C4.
Love the tiny faders too!

1 Like

Oh thatā€™s nice!

Got mine yesterday. I havenā€™t figured it out yet, but hereā€™s some first impressions and some comparisons to the Model:Cycles:

Iā€™m really excited about how small (and battery powered!) yet usable the TR-6s seems to be. Itā€™s even tinier than I thought! The design is a big improvement over the Aira TR-8 I used to have. It also sounds a lot better than the Aira (better reverb!), and there isnā€™t a ā€œwait, is that all this can do?ā€ feeling with this box. The buttons have a nice feel to them, but sometimes presses donā€™t get registered for the step buttons if you press them a little bit off-center (theyā€™re pretty small).

The preset patterns are actually pretty good, and the live effects like fill-in, rolls and step loop are easy to use immediately. Otherwise, there seems to be quite a lot of menu-diving, but itā€™s not as confusing as I had feared. For simple drum machine use, some of the options will never even be necessary.

Obviously, each track has its own fader, which takes up a lot of space. Iā€™m not yet sure if itā€™s possible to assign the faders to some other parameter than volume ā€“ if not, I think itā€™s kind of a waste of space to have a dedicated slider for folume alone.

The clearest advantage this has over the Cycles is the 8/4 tracks of USB audio. Other than that, the Cycles wins due to a more streamlined and to-the-point user interface. Sound design on the TR-6S seems a lot more cumbersome due to menu diving, but Iā€™m expecting to start liking it more after I get more acquainted with the manual.

3 Likes

These two babies are made to play together!

3 Likes

Quick question for TR-6s owners,
Is there a physical center detent notch (that you can feel) at the 12 oā€™clock position of the 3 CTRL knobs?

One thing I dislike about using the LPF/HPF master FX on the TR-06 is there is no detent, or even numerical display when using it, and I often go from bass-kill HPF to a bit of LPF by accident for a beat, trying to get back to 12 oā€™clock.

@AdamJay Thereā€™s no detent notch but you can set the knobmode to catch so the value doesnā€™t jump.

1 Like

Thanks

Itā€™s not the I have an issue with jump vs catch, itā€™s more getting the knob perfectly back to 12 oā€™clock when using the HPF/LPF combo.
I suppose I could just use the HPF-only master fx

1 Like

Exactly same problem with Tr-8s :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Same solutionā€¦
but this is a boring detail on a live performance oriented gear. Sounds like a forgiven obvious detail. The numerical display doesā€™nt brings much confort.

1 Like