Roland TR-6S

If it’s like the TR8S, you push the CTRL button then use the value knob to select the parameter/effect being controlled by all CTRL knobs OR you push and hold the CTRL button and then turn the CTRL knob to select from a far greater list of parameters to CTRL on that one knob.

Edit: looking at the panel layout and the above wouldn’t work as there is only one CTRL knob. I imagine you simply set that knob to Reverb send and it will adjust the send level on the track that is in focus. How you set that value would take a quick scan of the manual.

Roland has increased the price to $409. Kinda weird to see a price increase just a few months after a product launch.

I started with the 8S and didn’t really care for it beyond the sounds. I picked this up because I get the full sound engine - I’m totally fine with 6 tracks.

3 Likes

Hey @Synthtastic , did you make the switch to TR-6S and use it with the Digitakt? I’m tempted by the 8S, but the size is putting me off.

Anyone else using Digitakt to sequence the TS-6S ?

No, I’m just sticking with what I have for now. Trying to focus on learning what I’ve got instead of chasing gear. But if you decide to go that route, please share your experience.

3 Likes

Just picked up the TR6S. Absolutely love it! Having a deep knowledge of the TR8S makes this a perfect fit. Motivation is having a second drum machine to bounce back and forth between. Ordered a DJ mixer for my setup and ditched the Soundcraft mixer. 10 minutes with the TR6S and I’m in love <3

1 Like

Thanks for bumping this, as this thing is forever in the back of my mind.

How is the menu divin? I’m curious how it might compare to model:samples.

Love the idea of drum and fm synthesis with sample support - in a small battery powered box.

I’ve not noodled on the M:S though I’m sure you’d miss knob per feature layout.

Like its bigger brother the TR8S, the fine strokes are configured in the menus. I’ve approached them like a chef or a painter would their craft; mise en place. You set up your palette/prep your station then let the magic happen.

Drilling down into things isn’t hard per se but could be irksome for some people. Nothing is more than a Shift-Kit or Shift-Instrument menu away. The one feature that I’m about to try solutioning for is the lack of the CTRL button from the TR8S. This button lets you set the parameter to be controlled by all of the CTRL knobs. There’s some other nice functionalities to be had from it as well.

On the TR6S, the CTRL function needs to be set either at the instrument settings level OR through the kit by drilling down to a second menu. Not something easily done on the fly. But if you do some prep work, you’re golden. I’m not often wanting to change these things while performing.

The big seller for both of these boxes, 6/8S, is the performability. Being able to copy variations in seconds, edit variations that aren’t playing, chain variations, step looping, last step settings at the pattern or per track level etc. make them more of an instrument to me than it makes them pattern playback devices. I’m becoming far more adept at programming on the fly.

I was literally just setting up my MIDI Fighter Twister to access Level/Decay/Tune/Ctrl for each instrument. Then I’m going to jam out for a bit. I think it’s a great match for the TR6S.

All in all, the sound is identical to the TR8S. Everything just sounds good coming out of it. The FM sounds are fun though not as readily tweakable as the M:C. The stock samples sound great as well. I also enjoy designing kicks in Punchbox then importing them. I’ve really just found my groove with both of them.

It is definitely worth more scrutiny on your part and I’m happy to answer what questions I can.

5 Likes

What dj mixer did u settle for?

Hold kit and turn the Ctrl knob to quickly change the parameter

3 Likes

Brilliant! Thanks! Only thing I couldn’t figure out immediately. Was thinking it was a helluva menu dive to get that one parameter set.

I went with the Allen and Heath PX5. Brilliant mixer and $1000 CAD less than Xone 96. It’s on order so I should have it in 2 weeks or so. Loads of routing options. I’m hoping that it will allow me to send the Line inputs to the sound card then set the channel to USB so I can use my iPad for insert effects. I believe it will which would be brilliant as ditching the Soundcraft means I lose eq options.

1 Like

I see that the TR-6S accepts import of mono and stereo samples.

Does it sum the stereo to mono for playback, or does it playback stereo samples in stereo?

1 Like

stereo is played stereo, just like the TR8S

2 Likes

Who is going to be brave enough to buy this “open box” unit? Ya know, for science?

Love this dude:

6 Likes

Hi, I need some help on this.
With the original Roland kits 808, 909, etc I cannot get the Send Delay working by using holding KIT en assign SendDelay to the CTRL knob. The effect is assigned but will not be applied to the instrument. When using this method within for example the Bubble Drunker kit, the SendDelay does work.
Any ideas?

I’m assuming you’re on the TR6S as you’re using Kit+CTRL knob to assign the parameter value (and this is the TR6S thread).

The TR-909 kit has the Delay and Reverb volumes ‘Off’ by default. You can turn the individual effects volumes up one of two ways:

• Exit track mode (where you have an instrument track selected by its corresponding button below the slider) then turn the appropriate knob above to increase the volume.

OR

• Enter kit configuration mode (Shift+KIT) then scroll to the ‘Delay’ section and set the ‘Volume’ parameter to anything but ‘Off’.

My guess is that the classic kits are dry by default as they would’ve been on the original machines. The contemporary kits are likely overkilled with effects to showcase the different features and sounds.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

You sure? I only know the TR8S. The FM sound is different. And in the TR8S there is definitely no direct approach as with the cycles. With the cycles it is very easy to find really good sounds with those different FM-engines. And there are much more knobs (that affect FM and not only general parameters). :slight_smile:

Yeah the last option did it, many thanks.
The kit:delay level was set to 0.
Many thanks!

I had the 6S, sold it for an 8S thinking it was better, but due the size I just get back to the 6S to spend more time and learn in to its fullest capabilities.

1 Like