Roland TR-6S

To sample one-shots I think its overkill, you could just use a proper sample library. For drum loop sampling it’s a great device. Prepare some loops on the Tr6s, then make short intense jams with lots of variety for the OT (then slice of course).

There are plenty of decent x0x sample packs for free, so if you’re happy with just x0x-style samples, there’s no point in getting the TR-6S.

I know what you mean about wanting to sample the sounds yourself, though. For sound design, there are better options with a similar price, or even cheaper, with more hands-on controls. The 01/IV from Division Department comes to mind, or even some Eurorack modules, or the Microtonic VST. And if you really just want the x0x sounds, an old Aira TR-8 is 150 euros cheaper than the TR-6S.

The nice thing about sampling from the TR-6s, is being able to easily create loops that can be chopped into sample chains on your OT. Create custom kits of kicks, or hats or whatever you want. You could also record different passes with decay or fx tweaks that would help to make them unique to you. Also, the FM sounds have enough range via the morph parameter to be worth sampling chain variations. If you can get one for a good price used or on sale, you could likely get most of your money back once you’ve harvested enough sounds. You might find that you enjoy playing it though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can anyone tell if there are noticable sound issues if you change a pattern with different kit?
Thank you!

Hey, i just wanted to show you what ridiculous video I found on youtube:

while shamelessly bumping my question:
Can anyone tell if there are noticable sound issues if you change a pattern with different kit?
Thank you!

5 Likes

I think that s a take on some classic roland promo vids…

3 Likes

It is excellent- I just got one and to my surprise even has a randomizer function

1 Like

I suspected something like that.
Because it seem like it was having too much variation at least more than I could account for them playing certain demos or randomizing

Came across this on YouTube.
Definitely looks like an ideal single small box for making techno.

Only makes me wish my Model Samples had a built in Limiter :wink:

I’ll probably get one some day, out of curiosity, hopefully wait at least another year.

8 Likes

Think I found a bug- when I use the aira mx-1 mixer usb to power and sync the Tr6s (which works beautifully!) the master effects distorts and clips hard into random horrible unpleasant noise on the right speaker.

I tried using regular audio cables and had no problems, it only happens when using the usb as the source for sound and power. Anyone else have both pieces of gear and experience this?

Hope I explained it well.

Did you update your MX-1?

I have an issue with the usb power .
It won’t work when I plug it to the wall or the power bank. Are there special settings?

Quick question here: Can I change the patterns on the TR-6S from my Digitakt? Meaning…if I change to Pattern 2 on the DGTK, will it change also to pattern 2 on the TR-6S? Thank you.

TR-6s appeals to me, except for this. Without wishing to derail this thread, is there something comparable (I know there will be trade-offs) which does offer this ? Should I be looking at the drums aspect of the MC-101 for instance ?

EDIT: I have no wish to take this off-topic … just point me in the right direction please.

I’m intrigued by this machine. I love the faders (how many non-Roland drum machines, in this price range no less, even have faders?), sounds, size, variation/fill/scatter/step loop, and the effects.

But then I remember it has no p-lock, no step nudge, no probability, everything is quantized, only one CTRL knob for a gazillion possible parameters, and not much in the way of sound design.

And then I watch a video like this and I’m like “Screw it. I’m buying this thing.”

2 Likes

It has parameter locks. Just not sound locks.

Yea I’ve finally dismissed it. Having seen a few videos of folks coming up with great material, I have to remind myself that is the end, the goal.
The means and method of getting to that point appears to be menu hell. And the single LFO is a bummer. That’s a hard pass for me.
So while I am a sucker for so much of what it can do (battery power, sample playback, great native sounds, portability, built in compressor, enough memory), the workflow side of things is unappealing.
I just wish Model Samples had a master compressor. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I ordered a TR-6S today to try out. It looks like quite a cool little box.

1 Like

Have it and is very good,because i was need some classic roland sounds especially hi hats and toms,small with almost big sound,(don’t forget in the menu for kits and instruments there is volume level control) for sure i will buy the mc or maybe the cycle…

3 Likes

Having the TR-6s for a while, I got the TR-8s and I feel kind of underwhelmed, kind of waisted money.
I know it has more channels and outputs, but it doesn’t feel much more hands on than the TR-6s.

Don’t know what to do: should I send it back or not?
Thanks a lot for ur inputs!

2 Likes

I’ve had the TR-6S for a few days now and I think it’s a great little box (more hands on and fun than the MC-101!) but I do find the 6-tracks to be quite limiting. I guess I’ve got to start being a bit more creative, might try and use plocks on one high hat channel to create both OHH and CHH for example. When connected to my MC-707 it’s not too much of an issue though as I can just sample stuff out and then carry on.

One thing that bugs me, does anyone know if there’s an easy way to adjust the reverb sends for each instrument? It seems the only way is to dive into the menu. I’m sure on the TR-8S you’d just hold the Instruments button down and turn the delay or reverb dial? I don’t understand why that’s not been implemented here.

1 Like