Roland TR-6S

Thanks to breaking it down in a way easy to understand… I now equate the MC series to boxer engines :slight_smile:

There is something about the low end of the TR6S and TR8S that I’ve noticed in your demos and others, a synthetic-sounding but very solid low end. SNTS uses the 8S as his main drum source (layered with noise samples I presume) and you can hear it clearly in his sets. The primitive but tweakable FM engine is interesting too.

Not so much a fan of the menu diving and shift-pressing, but I think it’s worth exploring for the sound.

1 Like

The 6S is definitely the least fiddly of the two. And while the MC-101 has more voices, there is more the 6S can do with percussion.

The other thing that sent me back to OT was the sample memory limitations and management on the 6S. It was not ideal.

We live in a world with so many options now. Part of my interest in these was thinking back to my R8 or MPC days 20 years ago and imagining how much one of these Roland boxes would have excited me and served me back then.
But that retrospective view is quickly dashed by the realities that an OT or even DT (especially since that latest update) are more ideal solutions. And realizing and appreciating how much I would have loved these Elektrons 20 years ago helps me appreciate them more here and now.

Also keep in mind that those IG clips were hitting Analog Heat and additional OT compressor. It does need additional processing to “get there”

3 Likes

How is the process of importing samples into the TR6S? Is it finicky regarding sample bit/rates etc?

edit: just saw RedMeansRecording’s review talking about this, apparently takes everything but a bit of a pain to set up kits.

I can’t remember exactly but there were definitely some “unsupported” normal mono 16 bit 44.1k wavs it did not want to import, in a long list of files I was importing. And that stopped the import of the rest of the list entirely. That was annoying.

I re-rendered them in Myriad and eventually got them in.

But also I remember being limited to around 40MB of samples.

And it all lives in one sample folder. No way to organize beyond that. Pretty primitive.

1 Like

I cant tell about the TR-6S, but the TR-8S has categories for user samples.

I could be wrong, but my memory is that the TR-6S has one category for user samples.

“User”

Strange… I thought that apart from the number of voices they were equal. I would have a hard time improvising without the categories.

Same for the TR-6S

1 Like

I’m confusing categories with folders.
Categories are like tags, yea? And all samples reside in the same folder.

1 Like

I’m fairly certain it is like the TR8-S in that you can change the category for imported samples in the ‘Sample - Edit’ menu (Shift+Sample).

Both the TR6-S and TR8-S require a little bit of setup to get the palette in order but once set, the devices perform admirably.

1 Like

Correct. And once categorized correctly, you can use Shift+selection encoder while browsing instruments to skip through categories.

Also correct though I think categorizing your samples would negate the need for a folder structure. I can’t remember if you can create your own custome categories. If you can (my TR8-S is packed up at the moment) then, you could create a category with a kit name and group things up in that fashion.

An editor would make these two machines so much easier to setup.

1 Like

So looks like I’m picking up one later this evening. If anything should be a fun box to make beats on the couch… but I’m hoping it will integrate well with the Elektrons.

2 Likes

FWIW I got mine a couple of weeks ago and I’m using it with a DN and OT. Absolutely loving it, though I haven’t messed around with sample management.

As a side note, I’ve read on another forum that any update after 1.00 breaks the USB audio external input. Hope roland fixes that and adds USB class compliant audio, would be perfect to use with an iPad.

2 Likes

Not my favourite YT channel, but:

1 Like

New guy fitting in nicely.

3 Likes

Anyone want this stand? FREE just pay the shipping.

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/free-us-roland-tr-6s-angled-wood-stand/160370

1 Like

Looks like there’s an editor coming …

4 Likes

wow, nice :slight_smile:

proper page for reference: TR-EDITOR Now Available!

3 Likes

Sweet!