Roland TR-6S

Further more it’d be nice if the volume faders could have other functions when in sound/kit edit modes.

2 Likes

Ooh that would be great.

In the meantime though I think I’ll use it with an external controller when I need to do more tweaking.

Sadly, the MIDI implementation doesn’t expose as much as you’d think it would. From a previous reply regarding MIDI implementation:

You can map a decent amount but most mappable things already have a dedicated panel control.

Yeah I just looked at the chart. Still, it’s not bad for quick adjustments to delay feedback/time etc., stuff that I’d be more likely to need during a live set.

Nope, just went back to focusing on Octatrack

1 Like

You do amazing things with it. Sounds great!

Thanks,
I kept telling myself that I would have loved something like the TR-6S 15 or 20 years ago. It can do so much with those 6 tracks. I wish M:S had that much fx processing.

2 Likes

Would’ve been pretty rad to have one plugged into the 3rd channel of a vestax mixer along with a pair of 1200s. :metal:

2 Likes

A battery powered mini MX from Roland is exactly what I don’t want to be announced during my NGNY :grimacing:

2 Likes

A lot more dedicated buttons, knobs and pots. Large, comfortable, playable interface. A lot more i/o… audio input alone is worth it (fx, side chaining, etc). Nearly double number of tracks.

Advantages are huge.

1 Like

The physical advantages are obvious. I was referring more to the ability to do more sound design on the MC-707. As far as I can tell, you can’t take a TR-8S instrument anywhere that the corresponding TR-6S instrument can’t follow.

Ah ! yes indeed, same sound engine between 6S and 8S.

I used to have the 707, I hated it.

very solid sound, I’m sold! gonna get me one of these to couple with my DN… very affordable, all roland classic sounds… going to send it through the DN reverb and master distortion… what’s not to like?

and a big plus for me that it’s small, won’t have to give up lots of desk space for this…

2 Likes

Well after letting my first TR6S go, I’m giving it another shot and found a good deal on a used unit. Looking forward to the editor, but also using the unit in a different context than before, as Syntakt partner.

So I’ll lean heavily on things Syntakt lacks: 909 sounds (acb and samples), gritty and bright sawtooth dub stabs, compression, and the more wild FX under the hood.

Hoping that not trying to use it for standalone tunes, and focusing its use as a Syntakt partner will make it shine better and stick around longer. Pretty sure I still have my old project sd card backed up too.

4 Likes

Ah, good, I was going to work on six tracks of 909 hihats for you, but I’m sure you’ll do a much better job of it.

4 Likes

This is where the 8S/6S radiates power. The master compressor and soft clipper give such a good punchy sound, cutting into a mix in a very pleasing way. Sit a beefy synth next to it and youve got gold.

6 Likes

I just picked up another one to use as a drum module with the OT. I have a TR8S but want a smaller footprint. I’m also focusing more of the live performance chops on euro rack/OT. Just need a nice drum module that sounds great in a small footprint.

I can see this working well. You can give up a track on the Syntakt to send the MIDI notes and CCs to the 6S, then route it’s audio into the ST inputs to run through the FX block. Would seem like your just using one machine. Plus you get those 909 hats :wink:

1 Like

Yea I could! I’m going to keep it simpler than that, though, using the TR6S’s own sequencer with variations employed. Bit easier to manage than sequencing 6 tracks of drums on a midi track that has max 4 note polyphony. And two sequencers sync’d means less paging around.

Will def run it through ST input tho :heat:

1 Like

Just to warn you that my TR-8S totally glitches out when receiving PCM’s from the Syntakt, which I assume will be similar for the TR-6S