Roland TR-6S

Program changes?

I got two hands for that!

2 Likes

TR6S PART DEUX - electric boogaloo has arrived.

I had a little session with it last night. About an hour.
It just makes the Syntakt breathe so much, and I only ran it into the Syntakt mono to start.
Amazing what those old 909 and 707 hat sounds do. I think techno and house is effective thanks to those sounds being instrumental in it for decades. They have so much air and crispness. Iā€™m going to wait a while before I load in my own samples. I like the idea of keeping it simple.

Also the faders are great. Programming off beat kicks and toms, just to use as fills. The little faders make it great for jamming and bringing those sounds in briefly.

As an add-on box is where it shines, I think Doing whole tracks on it my first go around, I found it too fiddly and constrained. But as Robin to Syntaktā€™s Batman, it a dynamic duo.
Just going to make some ACB kits and patterns and live program and live tweak things based on what Syntakt needs. No expectations or even much pattern saving. Just a nice little techno beat axe.
And that Syntakt analog drive does good things to it.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve got a brand new Decksaver for the TR6S you can have if you want to cover shipping from Winnipeg. I just returned my TR6S as the store I got it from had a Digitakt for $100 off. I exchanged it. The Decksaver is from out of town though and not worth shipping back for a partial refund. PM me if youā€™re interested. Doubtful Iā€™d ever get another TR6S or MC101 considering I have a TR8S as well.

Yea I canā€™t imagine needing MC101 or TR6S if youā€™re fine with a TR8S.
I would have loved a TR8S back in my Roland R8 days of 20 years ago.
Iā€™ll send you a PM about the deck saver.

and wow, good deal on the digitakt!

1 Like

The TR-Editor is nifty, but itā€™s not without some issues.

Is there no simple/easy way to clear patterns and kits in the ā€œlibrarianā€ ? (Iā€™d hardly call it that, more of a visual list of patterns and kits). Will just have to do the CLEAR+Pattern button on the hardware, I suppose.

Also, the UI is too large for my 13" MacBook Air at default resolution. But only by about 10%.

I was considering selling my TR-6s now that Iā€™ve picked up Syntakt, but this thread has inspired me to hang on to it for this same purpose. My Roland thanks you. My bank account does not.

1 Like

while my (almost) new TR-6s is on the way to me, i do RTFM, and iā€™ve found this video.

everything you probably wanted to know about playing ATB/FM sounds ā€žchromaticallyā€œ.

(effective for sample-based sounds as well, but sample-based sounds already have coarse tune parameter)

5 Likes

the greatest impression from the 1st day of having TR-6s:
wow, finally i have almost proper, tiny sized, ACB-modeled TR-707 with all modern bells and whistles !!
not much people (here?) care about TR-707 ā€“ itā€™s not 808, 909, and even 606, itā€™s not techno / acid / all that stuff. 707 is post-punk. and i love it.

4 Likes

The 707 was used in quite a few early acid tracks

1 Like

it certainly was, but itā€™s sound is not definitive for the genre.

1 Like

I care. I have a TR 8S. I use the 707 sounds sometimes. They fit my music very well. 707 always sounds good to me.

1 Like

707 is my favourite kick drum.

3 Likes

yeeeeah! my favorite kick of short sharp kind as well.

1 Like

The 707 kick kind of sounds like someone hitting a cardboard box, I love it. Speaking of the 707, this has to be my favourite track with a 707/727, unbelievable.

5 Likes

Yeah 707 is one of my fave kicks too: great combo of amazing ā€˜airā€™ and body to it

Howā€™s it working out? I love the small size of the TR6S to go with the Syntakt. And since my Syntakt is running kicks and toms, it opens up my TR6S for more interesting 909/707 hat layering and variationsā€¦ use of samples, etc.

1 Like

Thanks for checking back in!

I kind of inadvertently abandoned that idea right after that post, primarily because Iā€™m quite new to working with electronic instruments (stop me if youā€™ve heard this before: ā€œso I decide to buy some hardware during pandemicā€¦ā€). Syntakt is my first dip in the Elektron pool so most of this last 6 weeks has honestly just been learning the workflow and exploring that device.

That being said, I actually did revisit this over the last couple of weeks. Initially it was frustrating just due to trying to work it in with the Syntakt sequencer (Rolandā€™s manuals/midi implementation guides are as ā€œhelpfulā€ as ever). After I abandoned that idea and started just building complimentary parts in TR-6s using itā€™s sequencer, way more fun. Like you, itā€™s primarily a hi-hat machine and some simple FM uses (inputting note data is still a joyless exercise on TR6s), but Iā€™ve also been stacking some distortion blasted 707 snares on top of my Syntakt snare creations and itā€™s just HUGE sounding.

I have faith I can work it in to the Elektron sequencer once I have a better handle on everything, but still in the learning stages on my end. One thing I truly love on the 6s is that effects block. What I wouldnā€™t give to have to have something like that in Syntakt. Let me flange my dual vcoā€™s!

1 Like

Yea, though itā€™s a bit hidden in menus (the editor helps) the FX facilities on the TR6S are greatā€¦
on the MC-101 theyā€™re even greater (the multi-band master comp is quite good, I wish all my gear had it).

One thing Iā€™ve been doing occasionally is using 909 samples instead of ACB, as samples have a ā€œspreadā€ parameter which does some chorusing/flanging by slightly skewing the pitch of left and right channels (works on mono samples too). So a nice way to get some stereo FX before even using the insert FX.

2 Likes

Are you also using DT?
Iā€™m curious because I was just discussing this on another forum and felt satisfied the TR-6S wasnā€™t for me, but seeing love for it on the Elektron boards has me wondering what the advantages would be, beyond its small size.

I have DT, ST, and MS for sequencing drum roles. I have a TR-08 too and before going down the Elektron rabbit hole, I was expecting to add TR-6S.

No, not using a Digitakt. If I were, Iā€™d probably not have gone with a TR6S to bring Roland sounds and samples to my Syntakt. (or the RNLA for that matter, as the DTā€™s compressor is quite good!)

I could (should?) be using one of my OTs for this, but I actually like keeping those wired in a separate configuration with Heat MK1 and a Blackhole pedal. My studio is a bit odd these days as everything is very close together, but not centrally synchronized. There are effectively 3 distinct setups in my room which I choose from based on the kind of track Iā€™m seeking to make.

But I digressā€¦

If you have a DT (and everything else you mentioned), I donā€™t think a TR6S is a smart addition. But GAS is real and seeing people wax on about a tool makes that tool hard to resist.

For me, the faders on the TR6S are a nice benefit. But you could add a 16n or something similar to bring faders to both ST and DT.

DT+ST is such a good combo, really.

2 Likes