Roland TR-6S

GAS is definitely real :rofl: But! I think Iā€™m doing well so far and a big reason Iā€™ll ask questions. Iā€™ve got a list of what to buy and each has its purpose. Sounds like the TR6S would likely be pure GAS.

That digression is importantā€¦ I also try to keep different gear organized in groups. It makes easier to keep focus and anything new has to be able to fit, or replace something.

Right now the only gear I have with faders, is the 2600 (Berhinger, Marvin). Iā€™m gonna pretend faders are not easier.

Thank you for response. Itā€™s very helpful!

1 Like

Not odd, an other way to be focus and efficient. Little monsters like Tr6s, that needs hands on it to be alive, appeals for this kind of separate setup. Same for separate dual OT, or other combo.

2 Likes

so, what i think after my 1st week with TR-6s:
i want second TR-6s.
(not TR-8s, because itā€™s twice bigger than two TR-6s ā€“ but has only 11 instruments vs 12)

3 Likes

A really quick question for any owners: if you tap the bottom-left and top-right corner of this while itā€™s sitting flat on a table/counter, does the box rock back and forth?

I picked up a returned TR-6S in Amazonā€™s Prime Day deals at a pretty good discount, and Iā€™m wondering if that might be why it was returned - because it looks brand new, otherwise.
Itā€™s kind of annoying to have it rock around when using it; but the discount was enough that I might just live with it.

The screen is also quite dim, but Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s just an LCD thing, compared to the OLEDs on my other hardware.

Lean on it. Plastic is flexible. So is metal. Ive had a few bits of kit that wobble on the desk, just lean on the corners and straighten them out.
You can adjust the contrast of the LCD in settings.

3 Likes

Does the fact that you canā€™t get audio in wouldnā€™t been a problem ?

canā€™t get audio exactly where?
for the moment i have it everywhere i need.

Sorry being not clear.
I mean you cannot proceed audio through Tr6s and have benefit of internal tr6s Fxs.
So maybe thatā€™s not a necessary in your setup. Two things i like in Tr8s is trig out (for modular or roland Boutiques) and processing audio.

Thatā€™s the question i had about two Tr6s better than one Tr8s.
I think the two tr6s is a great idea that appeals me when i read your post. After having taken a look at the tr6s back, i realised there was no trigs out and no audio in. That stops my eventual conversion.

ah, i understand now.
for sidechain / reverb / delay processing, there is Circuit Tracks ā€“ which is significantly smaller than TR-8(s). technically its inputs are not stereo (2x mono), but iā€™m fine with that.

1 Like

All the outputs for routing individual sounds and the inputs for sidechaining/processing a stereo bus are some of my favorite aspects about the TR8S.

1 Like

I havenā€™t been successful in getting it to sit flat, but considering the discount, I may do something like cutting a mouse pad to size for it to sit on - if I decide to keep it.

From checking elsewhere, it seems like this is a quality control issue at Roland - Iā€™ve found quite a few reports of people with the TR-6S and MC-101 complaining that it doesnā€™t sit flat on a table.
I might try contacting their support and see if that goes anywhere.

Make sure you check other surfaces, I always think my gear is wonky but itā€™s just my wonky desk :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah, I had that problem with my old desk, which had bowed badly in the middle; but just got a new one recently.
Itā€™s definitely the TR-6S that isnā€™t sitting flat, rather than the desk. I just wondered if it was maybe how the ā€œfeetā€ were laid out, but it seems like itā€™s the plastic shell that is warped.

This was a well known issue with the latest version of the Korg electribes. Solution was to simply bend it a little, then it would be level again. Until it went out of shape again, you did the same bending action again :slight_smile:

Itā€™s sad to see that the TR8-S/TR-6S never got step probability, and probably never will, when even the cheaper TR-06 and the newer T-8 have it.

Itā€™s really disappointing that Roland doesnā€™t support much its flagship devices :frowning:

Never say never. People didnā€™t see FM instruments coming a couple years ago. And bam. There they were.

People said the OT would never have probabilityā€¦

Iā€™m not giving up hope just yet :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™m actually glad the 6s came out, in part, because I think it could stretch out the 6s/8s firmware update cycle a little longer.

Hopefully they update the MX-1 soon. I wonder if the system 1 will get a refresh?

1 Like

Class compliant usb pleaseeeeee

4 Likes

Hey guys, does the tr6s send the recorded automation trough midi?

Version 1.5 update!

11 Likes