Roland TR-6S

Makes me look at the 6s again. Really liked the 8s but it was a bit too bulky for me

1 Like

hell yeah! probability! finally.
and they implemented it absolutely fucking great.

PS. hope theyā€™re preparing something for MC-707/101 as well.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Wow, they nailed it! Step probability was the only thing I missed from my 6S, but they even pushed it further! Thatā€™s really surprising for Roland, but it seems that theyā€™ve finally started to listen to their users :slight_smile:

1 Like

This aged well. :smiley:

10 Likes

There seems to be a little paradigm shift lately at Roland.
mc-707, tr-8s and itā€™s smaller buddies got several good updates since release.

1 Like

Iā€™m happy to have been wrong! :smiley:

Letā€™s try it again: TR-6S will probably never get USB class compliant audio and midi :smirk:

(Hoping Iā€™ll be wrong a 2nd time!)

9 Likes

Oh yessss. Love my TR6S, the other day I was just thinking it would be cool to have probability. Feeling like itā€™s a mini syntakt of sorts with the FM machines.

Is this the first time the 6S has had FM models ?

No, previous update added FM machines but that looks like a new parameter.

Interested to hear more ā€¦ especially about overlap with the Model:Cycles (I know the 6S has many more non-FM models, but Iā€™m particularly interested in the overlap)

I donā€™t know specifically about the M:C but I have a Syntakt so the machines should be almost the same I believe.
Thereā€™s a decent amount of overlap if weā€™re talking purely about a drum machine sound. I havenā€™t installed the latest update yet so Iā€™m sure thatā€™s a decent addition.
I would say the main thing is that programming melody in the TR is annoying (fair enough since itā€™s a drum tool primarily) and that one sequence/variation is 16 steps so you have to chain multiple variations to have longer sequences. But itā€™s a fantastic little machine and if youā€™re looking primarily for classic roland sounds with a few bonuses thrown in, you canā€™t go wrong.

EDIT: the main thing is that TR has less of a defined sound character than M:C does. You probably canā€™t get as weird as the M:C allows in terms of more textural sounds. However if youā€™re thinking about comparing FM snares, for example, I donā€™t imagine that theyā€™re a world away.

1 Like

Someone posted this list of TR-8S/TR-6S tuning values for specific notes that might make programming melodies easier

https://synthgroups.com/members/eatsleepsynthrepeat/activity/558/

6 Likes

Yay, probability. Canā€™t wait to try this out. Good form, Roland :muscle:

Great update for these boxes. Deeper FM options and step probability (amongst other things)! Starting to get into the model cycles territory with the new FM options. Wish we could have chromatic mode to record melodic parts. Pretty underrated drum boxes and play nicely with Elektron stuff.

2 Likes

Thanks to the post in the HW deals threads by @atlaspark - these guys are on sale, so I picked one up. Iā€™ve been eyeing this since it was announced but I honestly donā€™t need it.

The biggest appeal for me after the new updates is the portability with 4AA batteries.

2 Likes

This thing is a steal on sale for under $300.Pretty amazing, really.

Think im going not have to move to America to get sweet deals. Never seem to have these type of deals in the UK

1 Like

Cant seem to update mine via USB. USB sees it on my Mac, but when I drag the .bin file into the TR6s drive and press tempo, it just says ā€œNo update Fileā€.

Ended up grabbing an SD card and that worked just fine.

After you pay for healthcare, itā€™s a wash.

8 Likes