Roland TR-6S

The sounds can be modified. It seems like most of the demos have the decay on the snare set a bit long maybe?

I did hear one demo which sounded close to the real 606 I have in my studio, can’t remember which one though. I might do a comparison when I get it, if someone else doesn’t beat me to it :slight_smile:

I mean it makes sense being software, but for me the snare is very particular and with the right processing will cut through steel. I also have one but I really just keep it for the hihats. From all the inspired versions out there, the Acidlab was the only one that grabbed my attention

Are we talking about the TR-06 or the TR-6s? On a couple of the TR-06 demos they are using the alternate snare sounds.

I‘m undecided between keeping the TR8s, replacing it with the handy 6s or only getting the 06
All acbs collected or something simpler but more dedicated :upside_down_face: The 06 has some nice tricks I didn’t expect from a boutique

2 Likes

Grab the 06 and keep the tr8s. You’ll have Time to sell the big sister later (i wont do that at your place). For the little tr6s, take time to save money and then buy it next year (or sooner if you can).

1 Like

thanks but I‘m thinking about which ONE to get/keep. I certainly don’t need all 3 of them🙃

You might be talking about the Bobeats one where during the critical blind A/B test section against the RD-6 he used one of the alternative snare sounds on the TR-06. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

yep, that was one of them. Another one too I thought.

MC-101: I believe Drum Tracks are sample-based, but drums in Tone Tracks are Zen-Core based. There’s no chipmunk-effect/grunginess when playing lo/hi.

For those with the MC-707 and TR-8S, is there too much overlap?
FM drums is just the Morph parameter? How to change those 60 algorithms?

Haha! I didn’t get up to that part.

I feel like a lot of the videos on these boxes were rushed. I noticed some fumbling with the device settings and unusually quick explanations where I’d expect more detailed information.

Did anyone here get one for review? If so, what was the deadline like?

Dunno if this info is worth anything.
But.
I own a TR8-S and a TR09.
The TR09 sounds way better to my ears than the equivalent kit in the TR8-S.

So when I really want 909, I go for the little one. More immediate controls, better sound.
Rest of the time, I’m totally happy with the 8S. I dont see any reason to buy another roland drum machine just because its new and shiny. The 8S already has a 606 kit in there and it sounds good to me.

Good to see roland release these new machines though, lots of boutique 06 will sell for sure.

7 Likes

Actually the models series midi tracks are monophonic ones.
DT’s midi tracks give you 4 voice polyphony per channel,so 32 voices max.

Oh. My mistake. Thank you for correcting me.

1 Like

I find this really interesting. What extra juice have they applied to the 09? Because there’s obviously a gap between what most people think a 909 sounds like and what it sounds like direct/dry. I wonder if they gave it a little bump.

I’ve been planning to sell my TR-8S at some point because I just use the Rytm more but I might hang onto it until I get the 06 and do a scientific A/B test.

I agree. I had a TR-09 for quite a while, then ditched it for an all-in-one solution with the 8S - which is undoubtedly the best all round drum machine ever made.

But - the actual 909 emulation in the TR-09 was waaay better - possibly the exact copying of the dedicated controls that you sacrifice with the 8S…? not sure. But I used to have an OG 909 years ago & I’m pretty sure the TR-09 is basically 99.9% of the way there. Even down to the way the sequencer feels.

2 Likes

If you can afford it, keep them all ! We always need a bunch of Drum machines :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Haha, I struggle to sell anything to be honest. But TR-8S, AR Mk2, MD, Boss DR-660 and then a TR-06 on top… maybe it’s more than I really need.

2 Likes

Square Pusher’s one in early 90’s

2 Likes

Interesting and strange at the same time.
I heard that too when people compared tr09 to tr 8. I was shure they then took that tr09 acb to tr8s. Myterious tecnology and/or what they do in their white coats in that acb- lab (there was a funny video once about tb-3)
Anyway if someone wants to trade something for my tb-3…i dont expect more than a coffee…
Also anyway seems i do something wrong on tr8 with 606, i dont like the how the hi hats sound and choke…

Roger Linn designed the interface. Great little box. Bought an immaculate one for about £50 (IIRC) on here.

https://awolfe.home.xs4all.nl/studio660.htm

(Sorry for OT)

2 Likes