Roland TR-6S

i need to check that.
But one thing sure, the TR8s (then perhaps the little sister Tr6s) is a very powefull drum machine when it comes to immediacy and pleasure to play drum.
Futhermore, i don’t think that it’s worst than samples. And finaly i’m not sure that anyone can find difference between TR909, TR 09, TR8’s or TR6S in a mix.

Pretty sure the TR-09 and the TR-8S use the exact same implementation for the 909 sounds.

Having said that, I agree that in actual usage the TR-09 ends up sounding much more like a “real” 909 than the TR-8S does. This is probably down to the TR-09 replicating the human interface and way of working so well (yes, I owned all of them, I now only own the TR-09).

Don’t get me wrong, the TR-8S and TR-6S are both brilliant in how they make all Roland’s classic drum machines available in a single box.

I’ve heard, but can’t confirm, the 09 has some type of limiter in it. Like I said, can’t confirm, but seems to make sense. The 09 really smacks.

And if you crank it, then mute the kick, all the other sounds open up. Unmute the kick, the pumping starts.

:man_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

Oh man, don’t you make me test this right now! I’ve got work to do! :slight_smile:

Seriously though; do you feel this is happening on the digital side, or is this something that happens after D/A conversion?

1 Like

Nah, sorry, but don’t hear it. Tried it with the “GAIN” setting at 100 and cranked all the way up to 200.

3 Likes

If I were you, I’d go and experiment :wink:

My catch phrase in moments like these are, “let me go try something real quick” :laughing:

2 Likes

Did you throw a hi-hat on it or other drums?

I mean, it could be my external mixer. I have all the gains cranked up to the max…

Let me go try something real quick :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

My biggest problem with the TR-09 is that once I grab it to do something “real quick” I invariably end up jamming for at least an hour.

I know I’m just a dumb 90s raver kid, but it just sounds so right to me… :wink:

2 Likes

Hats and cymbals, yes.

1 Like

Not unlikely. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hear that allot… People saying the lust of a 909 is misplaced because what they know is mediated through the recording of records and the processing that comes with that. But… Back in the day, I used to play out with some friends who always brought their bevy of classic hardware and the unprocessed 909 kick over the PA was always so clean and powerful - somehow effortless.

1 Like

Oh yeah, don’t get me wrong. A 909 live over a decent PA is magic. I’ve seen artists who don’t even use 909s that much in their music bring one out live because it just works - eg London Modular Alliance. Also John Tejada swears by the power of a 909 in a live situation. The kick is just a sledgehammer to the chest.

I’m just wondering if they gave it a little extra.

1 Like

Yes there is a compressor on board in the TR-09. This is probably why.

Luckily, the TR-8S has compressors too :wink:

1 Like

The TR-09 often sells used for more than the new launch price, I think it is pretty close to the original, and unless you really want the larger controls and separate outs it is great alternative for that sound.

Personally I’m not really as keen on the 909 as I am the 808 and 606, I don’t use it as much but when I want to it is nice to have it.

I bought two initially and I sold one a few weeks ago for twice of what I paid new for it. O_o

2 Likes

Been eyeballing a dreadbox typhon And a tr6s. Idk why. It I think that would be a perfect set up for a guy who’s got Really bad A.D.D. Anyone else’s think so??

1 Like

Digitakt + TR-6s (as a slave) looks like a perfect combo : roland classic sounds controled with an elektron sequencer (parameter locks, micro-timing, etc.) and digitakt encoders. You can control 4 parameters for each instrument : tune, decay, level, ctrl. I only wish the TR-6s had 8 tracks!

3 Likes

Everytime I see a TR-6S video I think it’s great… but I prefer the 06… but i think I’ll go for a model:samples instead since it’s more flexible… but then again a DT is even better, and I already got that so I don’t need to buy anything :frowning: . The next day I go through the same process again.

14 Likes

Pretty sweet demo…

9 Likes

that guy can sell me a toaster if he really wants to.

so dope.

looking at the TR6-S package though, it really brings a lot in this small form factor.

Funny enough I just sold a Volca Drum, looks like I wont even have to think too much about what fills its vacated space :grimacing:

3 Likes