Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

Checking ! Funky stuff ! Drums sound very good. Just for my understanding : accent is global is it not effecting the kick than on the 2 and 4 also an the other two would be lower in volume ? Usually want to have my kick consitent.

Accent is global.

Im a drummer so I place accents where I would play them, which is usually the back beat, and sometimes the 1st beat of a 4 bar phrase.

Kick consistancy is a fallacy. But thats my opinion :wink:

1 Like

Ah understand. I am more a techno head/programmer. Like I said till now and even when I had the Rytm. I always lowered the Velocity of each step to get the dynamics, but maybe that was the wrong approach. When trying to have dynamic close high hats I choosed just the triggers like every 2nd on a 16th and lowered them in velocity.

Then maybe you’ll want accents on the quarter notes.

Dont give up on ‘weak beats’ super fast way to program dynamic patterns.

Get your fx right, smash the soft clipper and compressor and the TR8-S sounds absolutley banging. Best drum machine Ive ever owned.

5 Likes

I only very recently started to understand accents on important beats by hearing a DMX Crew podcast where he made a beat. On that track I put them on every beat for example (707 kit with DMX snare and toms samples)

Love the TR-8S, fairly recent purchase here.

4 Likes

Got a good 2nd hand deal on one of these. It arrived 10 mins ago. Wow, so, so immediate. think Ive got muscle memory from trying and failing to master the super annoying mc-101 last year. this is similar but seems much more direct. I can definitely see the live potential in spite of the large footprint. Think for now I’m gonna use it as a solid, no nonsense backing for the m32, dfam, neutron. Especially excited by the roland / dfam interplay

5 Likes

Any link?

I mixed things up but found it, it’s in this video about the drum machine he developed, around 2’20 in the video at the top:
https://blog.bela.io/opal-rhythm-computer-dmx-krew/

The podcast I thought it was in is here, interested quick making of a track:

3 Likes

Don’t sleep on that ‘Trigger’ track! Or, if you want to be able to set ‘last step’ for triggers, setting an instrument track’s output to ‘trigger’ in the global menu then setting the track volume to 0 using the mixer page ‘Shift+Ctrl button’.

4 Likes

Thanks
I’ve seen the video about the drum machine he made, but totally forgotten. Crazy

Do you have any concerns with the voltage difference? I think the TR8S is ±10 and the Moogs are ±5.

1 Like

Nope :). I haven’t found official specs for the trigger out voltage but most people seem to think it’s +10V. The DFAM is expecting +5V but is +10V tolerant as per the manual:

“INPUT
0 to +5V Pulse or Gate signal (+10V tolerant)”

Applies to the ‘Trigger’ input, ‘Adv/Clock’ input, and ‘Run/Stop’ input.

If you also have other euro gear around, you could just attenuate the trigger (or individual) out a bit.

1 Like

Cool! Yeah, I always attenuate with a Keystep Pro or Beatstep.

Thanks for finding that in the manual. It makes me feel a lot better.

2 Likes

When I got into music, the DFAM and then Mother 32 and Subharmonicon were the order of synths I got.

Now that I know what I’m doing, I went back and checked.

All the standard Inputs can take ±10 for gate and trigger.

The Mother 32 can take up to 15!

So I was worried for no reason.

2 Likes

double post

Ive got a glaring hole in my 3 tier moog rack. I hear really mixed things about the subh. Love / hate vibe from people. What are your thoughts? Good for ideas but hard to fit in a track? (bit off topic)

1 Like

I guess a good analogy would be that the Subharmonicon is like Dark Souls of Synths.

It’s extremely frustrating, but when you get results, the reward is glorious.

It’s sequencer can be limiting with the dual 4 steps, but if you do like what we are talking about here, and use trigger cv to break it up, it opens it up to so many polyrhythmic opportunities.

But actually, you can do a lot with the Mother 32 and the SubH.

It connects via midi, so you can set up changes in pitch that will make new sequences by offsetting the sequencer clocks via assignable out.

I absolutely love it and I hook it up to my Syntakt and run it through the delay and reverb, which just really makes it shine.

Is so good. Just needs time to understand and also keep you expectations tempered. If you watch demos, just know that’s what you get.

Here’s an example.

Oohh thats v nice. Chunky. So do you just use trigger to move the sequence for ward or does it mix with / offset the 4 step sequencer?

The example above is synced via midi to the Syntakt. Run/stop is enabled and I am manually enabling the delay through the fx block. The delay is synced to 16ths I think.

1 Like

Is the Lyra Sekiro or Elden?

On topic edit: TR-8s is Super Mario World

3 Likes