Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

I tend to copy/paste bars and edit on the QT then launch the counter-rhythm or whatever. Work with pairs of bars and with 16 per pattern I find it gives me loads of pattern variation. Of course each bar is subject to live-recorded locks as you decide.

1 Like

Youā€™re right. Itā€™s a great piece of kit with a real quality to the sound.

Sounds good, whatā€™s QT?

oh sorry, quiet. Easy to edit a newly copied pattern whilst other one playing then launch.

Got it!

IIRC there is a limit to motion record, one param per track right? But then you can stack ā€p-locksā€ on top? Do you need to program those in or can they also be recorded?

*It looks like you can record one motion rec per track and then p-lock 3-4 parameters if I understand it correctly

1 Like

You can motion record all 3 knobs independently per track but the ctrl slct only gives you one parameter per track to Control anything else than decay and pitch.

1 Like

Got it! But can you motion record decay, + motion record pitch + motion record CTRL on one track?

Yes thats true yes

1 Like

Ä° wish we could use decay and pitch knobs to select other parameters.

4 Likes

i want this so bad

Alas, feature request since day oneā€¦

1 Like

Rudy Rucker jamming with Marc Laidlaw on a TR-8s:

Is the insta pad inconsistent in its sensitivity? Iā€™m just testing with the PCM 808 kit right now. I was listening to that DMX Krew podcast and realized Iā€™d never really messed with it much, but it seems like the sensitivity between sounds varies wildly: toms have a nice range, but hats donā€™t. I have the setting set to heavy - assuming that means ā€˜most rangeā€™, but have not verified in the manual yet.

1 Like

Does anybody has some good tips to get a good " a bit dirtied up" sound from the Tr8s internal effects ? Till now I use individual outs and drive the Tr8s on a pre VLZ Mackie. On the kick I have sometimes a Double Trouble distortion and on the drumbuss a Focusrite Compounder. Toms get sidechain ducked in Ableton for Basslines. Pretty happy with the sound. I like it a bit rough organic 90s Techno style. The Kick not too spikey, but more roundish banging. But not too much overdriven Gabba style. Just getting it right hammering. But I want to shift my setup to a live setup and canā€™t take so much outboard with me. Would like to get a similar sound from the internal insert and master effects. I dig a bit in the comp-drive and saturator settings, but not there yet. Sounds often plastic or harsh. I read somewhere about a softclipper on the master. Does anybody have some tips which combinations of insert and master effect + gain arriving at the softclipper could work ? I think @Microtribe is using the Tr8s heavy ? Would be glad to get pushed into the right direction. I think its possible with the gazillion effects in this.

This is the sound with my outboard
https://soundcloud.com/peterkunze/mayhem-again-and-again-live-jam-unmixed-unmastered?si=d989ab8a6e7441c18bcdb6bea152d9f7&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

1 Like

I took the class offered by Roland and hosted by Unit :E.

He says go with the most sensitive setting and it also will break in a bit, because the pad isnā€™t the most expressive.

He also said itā€™s not the best pad out there.

In my practice, I noticed that the edges are a bit more sensitive and that may be why you notice inconsistencies. I tend to hit the pad at an wee bit angle on the edge to get the best hit.

@Monopete

If you go in the kit settings, or instrument, check to see if the gain is set low, which may lessen the impact of the applied effect.

2 Likes

At the moment all outputs have the boost setting on and the gain of each instrument is at noon. I did the gain staging mostly on my hardware mixer.

Correct.

Kit level +10db. (This will hit the soft clipper)
Instrument gain, to suit.
Instrument fx, saturator (can be tweaked infinitely to hit certain frequencies)
Overdrive (same) I personally dont like the distortion, comp+drive is also nice

Master fx compressor (very important, more gain here) blends everything together.

Accent - level around 130, place accents to compliment your beats, spaces are important too.

What fx you use is going to be genre dependant.

Heres an example. Stock 707 kit, followed by my edited version of it, TR8S only, no other gear or processing. I used the methods described above.

7 Likes

Thank you so much ! This will help a lot !
I am on the right way with the saturator on the kick. I think this could nail my sound taste.
The example is super ! How I like. Not too much driven but a bit sprinkle. Strong and have the roundness.

About the accent. Never used it or the ā€œweak beatā€ option that was too low in volume. I just placed standard triggers and lowered the velocity of each step that have to be lower to get dynamics. Do you put on every kick a accent step ? The master compressor I didnĀ“t figured out till now. Miles away from my Focusrite Compounder. Do you use it complete wet ? I donā€™t see a HPF on it to let the low-end through.

Accents and weak beats are crucial in my opinion. All the dynamics come from those two.

Weak beats are very quiet, but thats what you want, quieter notes or ghost notes, for hihats, and snares.

Accents affect all instruments on that step, so in my example I put accents on the 2 and 4 of the bar to accent the snares.

Compressor fully wet yes.

I dont use any other processing for my drums, it goes straight to the mixer and then gets recorded live. You can check out my bandcamp if you want to hear what Im getting out of the TR8-S.

1 Like