Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

I think you’re my 300th sub , hope you find some stuff of mine that you enjoy and can learn from. Re TR8s, it’s a fine machine and a lot in this thread sing its praises. Report back to us when you get one :smiley:

2 Likes

Correct. When you send a track to an assignable out, you lose the effects. The effects are on the Master. Instrument effects still apply but there aren’t any delays/reverbs etc. in the instrument effects.

1 Like

Correct. Sidechain effect allows you to select what ever track you want as source, then dial in the amount, all other tracks then get affected. You might be able to select destination, cant remember as I never use it. Check manual for clarity.

1 Like

@fffiiissshhh

To add to this, sidechain only works on the EXT in. There is no internal sidechain bus that can be routed to the master compressor effect. In the ‘KIT’ setup in the EXT section, you can select the source for sidechain , set its depth and type. I believe there are 5 different curves that can be chosen from. I’m not in front of my device at the moment to check.

2 Likes

Haven’t tested the S version. Anyone know if it’s easy to get some chord/stabs/pads out of the internal FM synth fairly easy? I guess you could for example sacrifice three tracks?

You could stack 3 tracks but it would be tedious. Probably easier to use chord samples.

1 Like

Okey, got it, thanks!

Why bother? Theres a whole stack of chords, stabs and pads in the factory presets. And yes, user samples way more efficient than burning 3 FM voices.

I guess, I mean I like synthesis but samples are nice as well :smiley:

Sure, but it’s a drum machine. Not a groove box.

I’ve tested a TR8 way back and couldnt quite get over it. Love those old TR sounds and it was so fun to play, and to have samples and fm as well seems nice.

How would you compare this to an Elektron?

I guess the elektron shines for sound design/kit building but the TR feels so playable.

Exactly how much of a pain is it to build a kit on the device itself? Nothing fancy but just selecting sounds, shaping them with envelope, filters, adding some FX :sweat_smile:

I know, but it can do so much hehe, If I get one I’d also like to use it as a groobebox for house/minimalistic kind of stuff

I wouldnt.

Its not, if you take the time to learn. Like anything else.

2 Likes

That’s an easy one: Elektrons (any of them) win at sequencing capabilities. TR-8S wins at playability.

Exactly how much of a pain is it to build a kit on the device itself?

It’s not a pain. The key is too use the CTRL + [channel] to get easy access to main sound parameters using the control knobs.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s really comparable at all, apples and oranges as they say. I would say if you are happy to build a kit and then just jam with those sounds (making small parameter adjustments only) and you were using it for 99% drum duties, not a fully fledged groovebox then the TR8S will be great for you.

However if you want to get into deeper sequencing and live sound manipulation, or you are looking for an ‘all in one’ box then a elektron device (or the MC707, SH-4d, MC101, MPC one etc etc) is likely to tick the box.

Building a kit is fine, it’s not really too much of a pain if you learn the device… however, I don’t think it would ever be as fast (or designed to be as fast) as an elektron box.

For me the TR8S workflow is about building a kit(s) you are happy with, investing time to shape the sounds in a ‘set and forget’ way and then take those sounds and jam the heck out of it. Elektron devices (to me at least) seem to encourage you to do more with those sounds on the fly. Just a different style/workflow and both are valid.

To get the most out of an elektron box you need to have it as the centre of your workflow (in my experience and opinion of course - YMMV) The TR8S is more self sufficient, you can bash out a pattern and leave it happily churning away and lean over and occasionally throw fader or twist a parameter almost without looking.

8 Likes

Is it possible to live record pitch change (and/or other parameters)?

Live recording works really well on the TR-8S, combined with copy/paste makes for fun jamming.

Thanks for your responses, it was interesting to hear your thoughts @oieubbrgov @Clarke_111 @Microtribe
I had surpressed my GAS for this thing, but using the 808 vst made some thoughts come back… :grimacing:

What’s possible to copy paste? Notes or sounds or?

I actually just found out you can motion record (automate) the ON/OFF switch from the Master FX. That’s legit by the way. Also, this has been the most immediate drum machine I’ve really ever had. Put some time into creating some solid kits and you’re ready to go! The insert fx for each track helps to round the kits out nicely.

3 Likes