Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

Great update! I was thinking about a Nord Drum, but might think have to about this one now… I imagine they originally wanted this update to go up on 808 day, but it wasn’t quite ready :slight_smile:

My girlfriend said I could be more spontaneous sometimes, so I bought one after seeing the update :see_no_evil:

23 Likes

This is just so fun. My first pattern jam after 15 minutes of playing with the tones.

18 Likes

This sounds great…GOAT maschine!

1 Like

Niiiiiice update.

Arggggghhh :star_struck: :sweat_smile:

Super update. Especially as it’s from Roland - they don’t tend to do these things. They’re definitely going after Model:Cycles market share here!

Edit: That’s a very good thing tho. Cycles (which I sold BTW) really does need more machines imo. Maybe this will provide the impetus to do that!

2 Likes

You won’t regret it! It is just such a performable machine. Not once have I turned it in and not just instantly had a smile on my face. The centerpiece of my setup for sure.

2 Likes

Wow, totally unexpected. If this was released a few weeks ago I probably would have gotten one over the SP-16, even with it’s clunky interface.

Can’t wait to hear what SNTS does with it.

I love my TR-8S so much that I had a custom stand created for it by mixingtable.com.

10 Likes

I tried it in a store once and had a lot of fun immediately.
Then I read about a lot of menu diving.
But I‘m mainly interested into using onboard ACB sounds and using it mainly as plain drummachine.
I have the OT for using custom samples, so I guess menu diving will be not so bad

3 Likes

I’m looking at this now and thinking that this + Analog Heat = complete live techno system.
Very tempted.

3 Likes

Wow. Vastly expanded sound palate. Very exciting. Instant kit reload is really going to help. Great update!

good news for me: now i want only TR8s instead of TR8s AND Model:Cycles.
bad news for me: TR8s is more expensive, so won’t happen soon.

Pretty spicy update - the FM sounds really good

TR8S > MC707

ducks outta the way :laughing:

5 Likes

Yeah, I gotta say that I’m also impressed that Roland are finally catching onto the idea that decent firmware updates re-ignite interest and get people buying again… I’m sure the second hand price for the TR-8s has just gone up a bit too… I’m in no rush to pick one up but I’d long ago decided that if I was ever to get something from Roland it would probably be a decent second-hand TR8 with the expansion. Now, I’m not so sure.

Quick question from the uninitiated, could you run the assignable out’s through some external gear and back in via the inputs?

Yep. But bear in mind with the external inputs you can only choose between stereo (hard panned L/R) or 2x mono both centre panned - you can’t pan the inputs individually.

1 Like

Yes - I send hats to my external mixer and back into the 8S

1 Like

This is very cool, I seriously considered buying this box when I saw this update. Then I looked at my DT DN combo and healed.

4 Likes

absolutely

1 Like