Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

Pretty cool cinematic piece, including usage of the FM sounds

8 Likes

I like how far the TR8-S has been pushed here. That would have taken a long time to programme.

I found the endless ostinato irritating though. Many do it. It doesnā€™t take much to break the monotony of ostinato, even one single note dropped or changed makes a massive difference.

Even a second phrase with a key change or different bassline would have been nice.

Not my taste in music at all, but fine work on a drum machine thats for sure! And props for mixing into a compressor for that modern super pushy ā€™ look its so epic right now! Feel the epic! ā€™ vibe. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He was probably pushing the limits of his listening experience. Your ideas will always be bound by what youā€™re familiar with.

Say you have Person A whose only exposure to orchestral music is superhero movie soundtracks, and Person B who has listened to and studied Bach counterpoint, the symphonies of Mahler and Berlioz, etc. Person B is less likely to use the same ostinato pattern for 5 whole min.

But I appreciate the effort to push beyond just the familiar banginā€™ beats - nothing wrong with that of course.

His channel rules! Dude has some skills.

I can live without the risers, but this is some fine bangingā€¦

8 Likes

I sold my TR-8S a while back to a friend of mine. I didnt regret it, never looked back and got better at using the DT/DN.
After reading about this update i asked him if i could borrow it for a second and update the firmware to check it out.
Its pretty great! New FM sounds great. I really miss the Step Loop function too.
Its just a super easy machine to get something really fun going fast.
i may offer to buy it back if i survive all this Covid BS.
But, i digressā€¦ its quite the update. LIke a whole new machine.

2 Likes

I guess this fm drum demo sold me on the TR-8S^^

4 Likes

About 26 minutes too long for meā€¦ but I can confirm, since I updated my TR-8S to the V2 firmwareā€¦ the FM sounds are great fun, and bring a nice dose of wierdness. Brilliant.

2 Likes

Itā€™s like you got a free Model:Cycles with this update.

3 Likes

Fixed it for you ;p

2 Likes

Youā€™re a Magician.

Another atypical use of TR-8S. Kalimba patch for jamming with Subharmonicon

1 Like

What do you mean exactly?

Assign one of those LFO types for a one-shot style pitch change from higher to lower, like a pitch sweep on a kick drum, for example.

Ah ok but it will not retrigger with each new hit. Or am I missing something?

Itā€™s been a while since I had Digitone, but I think thereā€™s a LFO.T toggle to trigger the LFO on each trig or not. Iā€™d have to check the manual to be sure about that tho :slight_smile:

Ah youā€™re talking about the Digitone, thought you were talking about the TR-8S

1 Like

Sorry, crossed wires! :slight_smile:

1 Like

No stores have this in stock. With the exception of Bax who happen to have 83 :face_with_monocle: in stock. Wonder if thereā€™s something new on the horizon if everyone stopped selling it?

1 Like

Yea I noticed that too in the US. This weekend is Labor Day weekend where many music stores have sales and it looks like they are thinning out their stocks. If this sells for 500US I might pick one up

Might wait until 909 day :ecstatic:

1 Like