Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

If they have the TR9S in grey color way…take my money!

1 Like

Might just be the OS update prompting lots of sales and distribution lagging behind. Would be odd to drop a major update and simultaneously discontinue the product.

Also the much older TR-8 is still in production with no cosmetic or other hardware changes.

3 Likes

zZounds has one left in stock. Then again they took my order for a Korg ARP2600FS that turned out to not be in stock. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

B&H is listing this as backordered, expected to arrive October.

Too lazy to check all the other US stores

COVID-19 has been causing delays for all kinds of things. I don’t know how it’s affecting production and distribution of Roland drum machines but come on, it can’t be a huge shock to anybody by now if it turns out to be the case.

1 Like

Expect the green to still make an appearance though :face_vomiting:

1 Like

All out around here, but restocks on their way next week.

I really just think Roland knocked it out of the park with their update and now everybody wants one.

3 Likes

909 day next week though :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

There is that, of course😊

I think so too. And I hope Roland finally sees that updating an already existing product is profitable for them too.

3 Likes

Yep. What’s cool about it is that they’re not really fixing it or just upgrading it with more of the same, they’re actually changing it. If this thing got chromatic input now, easily done, it’s quite the power package. But I can appreciate if Roland won’t do that, because it does keep it focused on percussion, rhythm and beats.

me too.
When I got it 2 weeks ago I immediately tried to coax full tracks out of it cause I‘m used to be able to do that with elektrons or teenage engineering products or the roland mc101.
It‘s possible but very tedious.
But then I quickly remembered that I simply bought it to have a staight up drum machine that is good for jamming. And in that regard it fully delivers

3 Likes

Yeah, I mean, if you think about it, if they did throw in a straight forward way to do chromatics, then people would instead look at it for its weakness as a synth rather than the extra power they just got, since it’s so close to actually being a synth, then. So for the purpose of clarity, not even going there keeps it clear on what this is.

2 Likes

The 1 thing that is missing (in my opinion), is a decent software editor.

Sample, kit and pattern management is tedious on the machine. If only you were possible to sync everything to a software editor and be able to swap samples, reorganize kits, edit patterns and sounds etc. on the pc… But I guess that won’t ever come…

I hope they at least make it easier to use custom samples, just like how it works to import a sample on the MC-707 would be perfect.

Right now you have to first import it to the machine’s RAM, then you can add it to a kit. It should be possible to select a user sample straight from the SD without first importing it and make the machine automatically import it to the RAM. When you stop using a user sample (and save the kit) the machine should check if the sound is used in any other kit and if not, free up the RAM. Or do this when using the Optimizing RAM function.

Even better would be direct streaming from SD, which a lot of modern devices do nowadays, but I guess they have chosen to import it into RAM for a technical reason (faster switching of kits?)

This is exactly why I got mine. Although a simple TR8.
No S needed :slight_smile:

very true.
I‘m a bit tired of sample handling in general.
I will only use ACB sounds and stock samples for quite some time

1 Like
4 Likes

I dont mean to be rude but that was terrible. Like, really bad. Sure I dig FM sounds as much as anyone, and I love a good drum machine session, am I missing something? Is it just because I’m the other side of 40?

8 Likes

It sounds like the sort of thing that comes out of drum machines when my 2 year old is malingering around them.

4 Likes

I thought that was just a demo of fm drum sounds and I’m just curious about how the fm engine sounds and figured other people would be interested, too.

Hope my local music store has the TR8s in stock so I can jam a little with it laterz^^

1 Like

No comment on the video or the performance. But that’s our local synth shop here in Seattle. The people are really awesome and it’s a super dope store.

They usually have stuff when no one else does. Pre-COVID, it was a dope spot to just dip in if you were a synth/gear nerd like me.

Patchwerks the store and people rock for sure :metal:t4:

3 Likes

The question is: does it successfully showcase the FM sounds on the TR8S ? I think it does. As for a great drum machine performance… there are other videos for this :wink: