Roland TR-8S - (New TR-8 with user samples and individual outs)

@kryten42 you were right to be skeptical. I’m on 2.50 and getting the exact behavior you describe.

2 Likes

Top man! Much appreciated Darren.
I’ve asked the guy at Roland to try again and recreate.

1 Like

I hope they’ll fix it! I hadn’t used my TR8S much lately because I got a Digitakt shortly before 2.5 came out and have mainly been digging into that since. It was fun to fire it up last night and fool around with the new goodies.

1 Like

Same here, about not using the TR8S lately… Ive been beasting on my Syntakt. also been doing alot of sample work with the 404

I’d had a folder full of kits on desktop for many moons and when I upgraded to 2.5 I finally added the kits too. So the only thing I had done with 2.5 before assisting Mr Kryten yesterday was to jam the fuck out with a Korg ER1 kit because I miss my old ER1. But not bad enough to go buy another 20 years later :0)

2 Likes
6 Likes

That’s a good video. I was messing around with making every instrument a synth, but never used that pads to play em! Very cool

1 Like

Can anybody speak to how the scatter functions work if you’re sequencing the TR8s from an external sequencer?

It doesnt.

The scatter functions are based on what’s in the sequencer. So if externally sending midi, then so far as scatter is concerned, there is nothing in the TR8-S sequencer. Its as if the pattern is empty.

Step repeat is the same. If externally sequenced, step repeat does nothing.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I wonder if this is because it’s actually recording a small portion of audio in a ram buffer and replaying it? In your opinion, does the scatter feature get played out over time, like a gimmick?

Correct, scatter is replaying a buffer, and doing quasi random stuff to the buffer.
In my opnion scatter is gimmicky . I dont like it. So I never use it.

Step repeat, on the other hand, is superb. At least for the way I programme my patterns, and play my TR8-S (listen to my last album New Brain Acid to hear what I mean)

4 Likes

I think it depends on the scatter type? The regular scatter sends audio to a buffer, so I would think that it works when externally sequenced?

The Fill in “scatter” types are just pattern variations, so they will trigger differently programmed notes.

Finally Roland recreated the issue:

I just had a chance to recreate the same sistuation in my TR8S unit.
I can send it to the engineers in Japan, who will analyse it and assess whether an upgrade is needed later.

4 Likes

Hopefully they fix the program change sync issue on all OS above V2!

1 Like

Have you reported the issue to Roland?

1 Like

Moi?

No. I dont have that problem. But plenty people seem to complain about it on here.

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed it either, normally I manually change patterns. Yeah, people have sold theirs because of the issue I believe.

1 Like

NICE. I haven’t dealt with their customer service but I’ve heard lots of stuff about their general obtuseness in that department and it’s slightly surprising that they even tried it again after they said no the first time. Thanks for fighting the good fight Andrew :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I had to do a video of the steps and wrote a step by step guide along with it. It only took them 3 weeks, let’s hope the chaps in the Japan are a bit more efficient and take a bit of pride and get a fast fix :slight_smile:

1 Like

New TR8S owner here. I have read some comments (can’t remember where) about adding tags to filenames before importing so they can be automatically categorized. Is this true and does anyone have the list of tags?