Round Robin LFO's and Sample Chaining - what's your workflow?

Hey folks,
I’ve been messing about with workflows for round robin on the DT.
Getting close with LFO 1 ramping through 5 slots but I’m still getting multiple hits on shot one and then ramp through the rest. (if that makes any sense)
I haven’t been able to find a setting that gives me a random sample through a range.
I’m wondering if sample chaining could be a solution here.
Can folks chime in on how they make this type of thing work for them?

1 Like

To get a random sample from a range you should be able to have the wave set to random, and the mode set to hold to do what you want. Then each time the sequencer gets to a trig the lfo will take it’s value from the random shape once and only once, getting rid of those multiple hits.

and once again: round robin is NOT random :wink:

3 Likes

Round robin isn’t random. Edit @Jeanne :content:

I found a solution : plock lfo speed to 0 on lock trigs.
I tested with a voice count, it works. Have to make a video with correct settings.

2 Likes

Yeah fair enough about it not being random. I guess I was focussing on the “I haven’t been able to find a setting that gives me a random sample through a range.” part of the question.

Perhaps I’m not fully grasping the video, or the context of the original question, but when/how would you use round robin here? Does the LFO speed 0 trick work with trig probability?
I guess in an ideal world you’d have some LFO shape/setting which increments each time it’s sampled (and loops back to the start after a set number of samples), so each time the sequencer fires a trig, or each time you play a note from something external, or even a trig preview on the DT then you’d get a predictable step along the sample sequence. But I’m guessing it doesn’t work quite that nicely?

In parallel with @sezare56 last time this question came up, I figured out you can also get “true” (rotate through samples per hit, no matter what the rhythm, without parameter locks) by “nudging” a zero-speed LFO:

LFO1 is to sample slot, speed zero, free-running saw wave, at a depth to run through the desired sample range
LFO2 goes to LFO1 speed, with a 1/2-cycle pulse-wave, and this sets LFO1 moving each time the track is played—calculating the exact speed/multiple to use, I remember, was tricky, but it was easier to just feel it out with a little trial and error on the LFO2 depth…

The power of the LFOs on these devices continues to surprise me…

1 Like

Lock trigs locked to speed 0.
8 slots, slot 5 as track parameter.

Lfo settings :

I recommend voice “counts” to set it up. I had to retrigger the lfo with a TRIG mode to make it work properly, so improvements needed.

6 Likes

The helpfulness and general coolness of folks on this board continues to surprise me!
Thanks everyone for the input.
I’m gonna mess with this and report back.

6 Likes

Does someone know to achive this very musical round robin trick on the DigiTakt? :slight_smile: