Running Out Of Tracks = Resample?

Hey everyone!

This may be another obvious question coming from me, but here’s my current workflow scenario:

I’m working with a Kit, and I’m using most of its tracks for percussion sounds. At this point, I now want to start adding melodic samples/chords/a bassline. In order to experiment with finding a chord progression, I would need to place a bunch of different chord/note samples across a bunch of tracks (overkill?). Obviously, I can’t do this, because I only have a few more tracks left within the current Kit.

The only solution I have is to resample all tracks down into one looped “sound” on the +Drive, then create a new pattern + Kit and add that newly created resampled percussion loop into it. From there, I can add all my melodic content, and even repeat this process again if I need to do the same thing for low end/bassline content.

Is this the only solution to creating a “full arrangement” on the AR? Wondering if I’m looking at this process correctly. Am I overthinking or missing something?

You could try these:

• use sound locks to raise the number of sounds played per track
  • create sample chains of some of the percussion
  • create the chords in another pattern, using separate tracks per note, and then create a sample chain, or sample a loop, for use in the main patterns
2 Likes

Alright, perfect! Thanks for the ideas.

The one thing I cant seem to wrap my head around regarding sound locks (for situations such as this) is…how am I able to experiment in real-time with a chord progression using sound locks when I’m only able to “program” them in via PLocks using only trigs?

I wouldn’t use sound locks for chords. You’re layering your complexity and rigidity with that.

I think you’re asking “how do I play chords on the Rytm in real time?” You can’t on the box alone. You’ll need a work-around.:

• make two-note chords with fixed interval, on one of the synths with two oscillators; ply on the chromatic mode
  • lay down a rhythm you want the chords to play, and then use scenes to pre-programme some options you’re up for trying; then either perform it that way or transfer the final version to p-locks
  • get a keyboard and a MIDI processor like the MidiHub or RK-002 which can be set to round-robin chords to separate channels
1 Like

I was trying to remember which midi processors did that. Thanks!

2 Likes

Ok that makes sense!

I should have been more specific, in this case I would be using chord samples exclusively to “write” chord progressions.

I think your example of laying down the chord rhythm first, then using scenes to play with assigning different chord samples to different scene would be fun and helpful to experiment with.

Am I understanding that correctly? Would that work?

Be running out of tracks
Be running up that hill
Be running out that building

(Sorry.)

3 Likes

:joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat:

I’m not sure I follow. Do you have these chord samples already or do you want to make them from the synths on the Rytm?

1 Like

I have the chord samples already. I’d just like to play them in a unique way (programmatically) in order to come up with some happy accidents, etc.