Rytm mute track issue after carbon sheet replacement

Hi guys, I just replaced the LCD display and the carbon sheet of my Rytm MK1. I used official parts bought at Elektron’s store.

My firmware is version 1.60A. I have also done a factory reset and a drive format before doing the job.

I followed all the indications I found on the forum and videos on youtube, I have experience soldering and working with basic electronics so despite I’m not a technician I wanted to do it myself.

I have removed the plastic cover from the carbon sheet very gently and placed the carbon side in direction to the sensors. I never touched the sensors with my fingers, I discharged myself from static and cleaned the board with Isopropyl alcohol. I have been very cautious and gentle with the parts. It was quite easy anyway.

The LCD works perfectly, but I’m now experiencing a very weird behaviour with the pads: when I press MUTE I see all pads green. I start muting tracks and at some point, muting one track will also mute/unmute other tracks.

I’m a bit afraid I may have done something that damaged the sensors or something else… or that after the factory reset there’s now some active feature set on the tracks that explain the “weird behaviour” (crossing my fingers).

Any idea of what can I check to determine if I have actually damaged the circuitery? Everything else is working fine.

Thanks in advance!

Ok so here is my own reply for the record. If you ever experience this behaviour after replacing your carbon sheet (at least on the MK1) this is what Elektron support said and how I solved it:

Just take some minutes to “MASSAGE” each of the pads… give them a good massage, show your MK1 how much you love her… take your time. After the massage session, all pads work just fine, my AR MK1 is now working as expected.

Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like