Sample Based Resynthesis VSTs (feat. iZotope Iris)

Something I was looking into at the end of last year, was iZotope Iris, which looked pretty interesting as a way of playing with sample based synthesis.

Iris wasn’t updated for M1, and was then discontinued. I haven’t seen too much else that does anything similar. I hear that the original Camel Audio Alchemy is in a similar ballpark, but this is a Logic only device. As an Ableton user on M1, both of these options are out of the window.

Overall; I think this general concept is pretty sweet - the idea of chipping away at a spectral map of a sample to find fragments in there to create your synthesis seems like something really interesting.

I’ve come across this Dillon Bastan device for M4L, though I’m not sure if it does the same thing as Iris or Alchemy.

Does anything else exist along these lines outside of the options listed above, or are these 2 tools unique in their approach to using bits of samples to create synthesis?

I’d be interested to hear about options, alternatives or even combinations of tools that you might have used to achieve something similar.

Additive synths let you do this. Harmor and Loom both allow you to re-synthesize samples. Razor doesn’t have a sample loader, but it’s vocoder basically does the same thing if you send a sample into it.

2 Likes

Iris still works on my M1 (must be Rosetta) but I didn’t like the sound of it. Couldn’t get into it at all. And I didn’t enjoy the interface. Love pushing samples into new territories though so would be interested in what the future holds for this form of synthesis.

Have you looked at the Synclavier V by Arturia? I’m not sure how fully featured it is, but might be worth a look.

Like most soft synth questions, the answer to this is Arturia’s Pigments. :sunglasses:

Its sample/granular engine is superb.

2 Likes

Cheers - I hadn’t looked at anything additive. I’m also waiting for Reaktor to go M1 native which will unlock these toys soon (ish…)

Nope - thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I just switched to Mac from Windows. Reaktor is working. I know it isn’t optimized for arm yet, but it works. If you’re on Mac, then Harmor won’t work. It’s Windows only. Loom should work on Mac though.

I usually think of “resynthesis” as an additive or spectral thing, because it is converting the audio into sine waves (partials). The term “resynthesis” isn’t typically used for granular, because with Granular, you are still sampling the audio file itself.

Agree that Pigments is bery, berry nice.

1 Like

VirSyn: CUBE & POSEIDON
https://www.virsyn.net/de/Products/CUBE/cube.html
https://www.virsyn.net/de/Products/POSEIDON/poseidon.html

Pigments is a monster.

Harmor.

…i also used iris for a while and was also teased by it’s spectral concept…
and also did’nt like it’s overall sound that much end of the day…

layering is a basic concept…so is sampling…and spectral analytics…i’d suggest to watch some ableton tutorials…i’m pretty sure there are many workflow options to discover, how to achieve such results with on board solutions only…

at least i can think of quite such options in bitwig right out of the box…
modern daws are much like elektron devices, when it comes to sonic options beyond first sight, if u only think twice and look at it from a different perspective…vast majority of all those special third party plugins are not really needed and if we sharpen our overall engineer/producer skills, we can always find more already integrated alternatives to get to same places with the tools we already got…